1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC26GA4E + Netgem blur cure?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by kc1, Feb 28, 2005.

1. kc1

kc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sharp LC26GA4E, which displays an acceptable picture from my cheap & cheerful DVD player (Cyberhome 300S), but a pretty awful one from my Netgem I-player, despite being in a strong signal area.

The most offensive effect is when some parts of the picture seem to lag behind other parts when there is even subtle/slight movement. When a person's head moves, its as though the back of the head has to catch up with the face! It's partcularly noticeable with darker umages like CSI on Channel 5.

I've tried fiddling with various settings on the Sharp but I'm not really sure which ones are supposed to make a difference for this type of issue - any suggestions welcomed.

The Netgem offers various output formats (via a Scart lead) component, YPrPb component, RGB, S-Video, but once again, I'm not sure whether each is really making a difference (although I have been trying to tell myself the picture somestimes seems to look better).

I'm wondering whether a scaler like this would make any difference, or even putting the signal through a DVD player with a built-in scaler that can take external inputs?, as suggested somewhere here...

Does anybody know which players do this?

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    A very expensive one !

Have you tried switching on the 'Quick Shoot' option on the Sharp ? I can watch football without a problem on my 32" through Freeview.

Maybe the problem is with the Netgem if the DVD player is pretty good.

Richie.

3. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a netgem iplayer .. and I tried it connected to my Sharp LC26GA4E via Scart.

I did not experience any of the problems you have talked about.

However I don't use it anymore as I get a much more superior picture via DVI through my HTPC.

4. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My LC26GA4E was despatched today so I will hopefully be connecting it up to my Netgem tomorrow. I was looking forward to trying the Netgem via RGB and Component, but I am now a little worried...

AJP

5. kc1

kc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - makes no difference either way as afar as I can tell.

6. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noise reduction makes parts of the picture lag behind. Make sure you turn DNR off.

7. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - DNR uses temporal averaging from one field to the next to filter out analog noise. It's always looked terrible - and it's completely pointless on digital sources like Sky or Freeview which don't suffer from analog noise anyway. So make sure you turn that sh!t off. :smashin:

8. kc1

kc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll try it & report back. In the meantime I'd aprpeciate any help with any of the other settings that might make a difference.

I'm assuming the CMS, OPC, and colour/brightness/contrast won't make a difference to the motion artefacts - is that right?

but what about:

1. "Sharpness"?

2. "3D-Y/C" which the manual says "Provides high quality images with minimal dot crawl and cross colour noise"?

3. "I/P setting" - should this be "Progressive" or "Interlace"?

Also should the way the two boxes are connected make any difference?

A: using a scart-scart cable into the TV's scart socket "Input 1"

B: using a scart-scart cable into the TV's scart socket "Input 2"

or using a scart-phono/RCA cable

C: into the TV's coaxial video phono socket "Input 3"

D: into the TV's component video phono sockets "Input_3"

Finally, if there are nay Netgem users out there who have got a good picture with this TV, can you tell me if you're the Netgem is set to send the video as "RGB", "Component" or "S-Video"?

Thanks a lot

9. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    KC1,

I too have a Netgem (2 actually - 1 Netgem & 1 BT Player). I have only just received a Sharp LC26GA4E so can't answers most of your questions until I get time to set it all up properly.

I can, however, state that both Netgems, set to RGB output, & connected via SCART to Input 1 (set to RGB) show a good picture, albeit requiring some tweaking of brightness, contrast, etc. I certainly would not call it awful, and I have not seen any of the strange effects reported in your original post.

I cannot yet test a component connection as I lack a scart to component lead.

One strange problem I do have though is that the standard analogue TV picture was great when connected directly to the aerial, but suffered major scrolling white line interference when connected via either Netgem (switched to standby of course) using their RF throughput. I could not fix this no matter what I tried, and yet the same setup worked great with an old 28" Goodmans CRT. To work-around this I have used a Maxview amp with 4 sockets so that the RF cable is split before the Netgem (1 output to Netgem, 1 to TV) and hence the RF into the Sharp LCD has not gone through the Netgem first.

I will post more as I work on getting all the settings right. I am currently awaiting delivery of various cables so that I can try things out.

Good luck,
    AJP

PS The Sharp DNR & OPC were set to off when I got it, and I haven't tried it with them on.

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Firstly, connect the Netgem to the Sharp with a Scart cable into Input 1. This input is for RGB and is way better than Composite (Coaxial), so plugging into input 2 or input 3 will mean a worse picture.

Then search the LCD forum for 'GA3 settings', there is a thread that has a few Sharp settings that the owners have posted, me included.

Sharpness normallyis set between 0 and minus 5. This does not want to be set too high.

Richie.

11. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3D-Y/C (comb-filter?) has the same lag-effect on picture as DNR! Especially on noisy, slow-moving pictures (like DNR). It improves picture by reducing dot-crawl (along edges of colours etc) and improves sharpness though. Can't be turned off permanently, but set it to "fast" :)

12. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the 3D-Y/C is only used on a Composite input.

13. kc1

kc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turns out this was indeed off on my set, so it must be something else.

Thanks. Thats the way I have it connected, so I guess it must be something else, unless its the cable quality? The cable I have is the one which came with the Netgem (full complement of pins and very thick, but I'm not sure which manufacturer).

- Mine is also low, so I think it must must be one of the other settings.

I'll try this & report back.

Thanks, I'll have good look & make a comparison.