Sharp LC26GA3E - Picture settings advice.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by CraigKORE, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. CraigKORE

CraigKORE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got my Sharp up and running in the bedroom and have got it connected to Freeview just now (will connect new DVD player tomorrow when I get it).

Firstly, just want to say what a damn fine picture I get from Freeview via RGB. Bought some decent cables today and it has made quite a bit of difference to the picture I got from a bog standard scart when I tried it last week for 5 mins. Upgraded the RF lead as well BTW. Looking forward to trying it out with Hi-Def Xbox and new DVD player prog scan via component tomorrow!

I have a question though about the aspect ratio side of things. When I change between 'panorama' and 'full' I can see that there is a change, but not sure exactly what it is! I have set the Freeview box to 16:9, but what setting am I best using on the Sharp itself? I have enabled the WSS option on TV as well.

When I get my Pioneer 575 tomorrow, is the best setting to use for that 16:9? (I'm assuming it is). Been a while since I have had a widescreen set and had to deal with this stuff as I have a 43inch RPTV in the living room which is easier just being 16:9 or 4:3 full stop!

As always - any advice welcome.... :)

2. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use "Full" when connected to (16/9-set!) cable/sat-boxes, DVD-players or other things sending anamorph pictures. Use Normal when viewing normal TV-broadcasts or 4/3-games, VCR-videos etc., or use Zoom or Cinema to get rid of bars on top/bottom). In many cases the TV auto-switches between Full and Normal, eg when connected to some DVD-players (via analog connections). Never use panorama, it stretches normal 4/3-stuff so people get fat and cirldes are seen as ovals. You can't get rid of bars on top/bottom on (1/2,4)DVDs.

3. Mads

Mads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Use 'full' when receiving a true 16:9 anamorphic signal (e.g. from DVD).

Use 'panorama' when receiving a 4:3 signal that you would like to have streched to fill the 16:9 viewing area. This mode uses non-linear horizontal stretching so that only a little stretching is used in center of the picture. The stretching then increases towards the edges of the 16:9 screen. This makes people centered in the picture look less 'fat' compared to linear stretching of the 4:3 signal. Some cutting of the picture is also done at the top and bottom of the picture in order to further avoid the 'fatness' of people.

Hope this helps.

-Mads

4. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panorama also leads to objects on screen changing size (width) as the camera pans horizontally. This can be a weired effect but I tend not to notice it too much on this set. I have seen a Sony CRT where the effect is so bad it makes me nausious. :sick:

5. CraigKORE

CraigKORE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies - will try them out and see what best suits the eye.

Have just set up the Pioneer 575 via a good set of components and OMG the picture quality is to die for! (TV mode set to 'full' ;) ).

Just at the start of the tweaking side of things now. I notice that the TV goes into 580p mode for the DVD player, is there anyway to get this upto 720p? First time I have had a prog scan player so just getting my head round it all. The Finding Nemo disk is PAL, just going to try out some Reg 1 stuff.... :thumbsup: Can't get over how good the picture quality is.. :eek:

6. CraigKORE

CraigKORE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reg 1 disks seem to play at 480p, is that right? :cool:

7. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You need an upscaler like a Samsung HD745/945, Denon 1910 or Pana S97 to get the higher res's. Only the Samsung upscales in Prog scan Component.

The Pioneer is rated as a good 'standard' prog scan player though.