1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC26GA3E and PS2 - question?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neoglow, Jul 10, 2005.

1. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've connected my PS2 to my Sharp LC26GA3E with the official PS2 Component Cable from play-asia.com and selected Component Output in the PS2 configuration. Booted up a 'Progressive Scan enabled' game - Burnout 3 : Takedown and I'm getting ok picture, however I thought it would be better than it is. Now I dont think its the screen cos playing a DVD through Component is superb. Is there a Hi-Def pack for the PS2 like the Xbox to get the picture even better or is it simply because the PS2 simply has lower graphics quality to the Xbox?

May have to trade my PS2 for an Xbox and Hi-Def kit to get the true benefits of this Sharp screen.

M.

2. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have a PS2 connected to my 26GA4E with the IXOS PS2 component cable and it is pretty good but I don't think you can get it any better.

I have that game and I must say they when I first got it I only had the RGB cable but the game improved when I went to component.

Does it say 580i in the corner when the PS2 comes on? The PS2 just doesn't do progressive I think.

Let me know if you get any improvements.

Cheers

Paul

3. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi blossom, yeah when I boot up the PS2 it says 580i in the top right hand corner of the screen and then goes to 480i when in the game I think. So a peice of equipment such as the PS2 dosent necessarily do progreesive scan even though it can output in component?

I found this website about picture quality settings for PS2 games, for Burnout 3 is says 480p, also for Gran Turismo 4 is says 1080i, is this right??????
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com/ps2list.htm

M.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    You haven't enabled 480p on Burnout 3 I'm guessing. I think you have to hold down Square and Triangle when the game is loading. It took me a few tries to get it working.

Does the UK version support 480p anyway? Assuming you're using that.

5. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Lyris, you were right! :thumbsup: I did some searching - http://hdgames.net/
    The site tells you how to enable the progressive modes in games, for Burnout 3 hold down 'Cross' and 'Triangle' when booting the game.

I'm using a PAL console and the picture is now much better, Also, I think some games only do progressive scanning in different regions, ie, some NTSC version of games will do progressive whilst the PAL wont, and vice-versa.

Mark.

6. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As to the xbox, the good thing is practically every game available can be viewed in progressive scan, with a few notable exceptions like the brilliant Metal Slug 3. I have been running a couple of games (MX unleashed and Freedom Fighters) in 720p on my new JVC and the quality and stability of the image is astonishing.