Sharp LC-60LE636E LED LCD TV Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 11th October 2012. The Sharp LC-60LE636 offers big screen entertainment and excellent all-round performance at an incredibly attractive price. There really is very little to compete with the LE636 at this screen size and definitely not at this price, so if you're in the market for a big TV put it at the top of your list - an easy Best Buy.
Read the full review...

I am in the market for a replacement to the bedroom LG 47 LE8900 tv, this TV was not radar at all until now.

I don't care much for 3D, most other manufacturers top end tvs force you to have 3D so this is a potential plus.

Holy moly, a 60"er for a grand, that is a bargain! No 3d too, that to me is a bonus :)

@tausifs a 60" in the bedroom, wow you must have one mahoosive bedroom!

Its not that big a bedroom, just we have to view from one end of it to the opposite wall. Ironically, we end up sat further away from it than we are from our living room TV (when sat in our living room). I had been eyeing 55" ones but hadn't considered 60" till now.:devil:

I had gone off the LG 55 LM760T and was going to try to demo the Sony 55 HX853 in J.L. I hope they have this TV on the shop floor too.

BTW, thanks for the review Steve Withers. A big TV means nothing to me if it can't perform, and sounds like this one really can. Must say Sharp's early efforts, fell behind Sony's IMO 5-6 yrs back, and LCD really has come of age now.

Just one qu Steve. On LG tvs for eg. to get 24p to be displayed properly I think you have to turn on "Real Cinema" in the picture menu. Is there any such setting necessary on this TV ?

Last edited:
Be careful with this TV

I had serious judder problems when watching football with all the correct settings turned off!

Sharp direct would not return it as faulty even within 7 days.

I have had to pay a courier with my own money to send this crap tv back.

When I told them the problem they said its the specification of the set.

so basically they admitted there own tv is rubbish.

Not sure if the reviewer tried to watch football on it but its useless for motion.

Would not recommend

Be careful with this TV

I had serious judder problems when watching football with all the correct settings turned off!

Sharp direct would not return it as faulty even within 7 days.

I have had to pay a courier with my own money to send this crap tv back.

When I told them the problem they said its the specification of the set.

so basically they admitted there own tv is rubbish.

Not sure if the reviewer tried to watch football on it but its useless for motion.

Would not recommend

You must have had a bad set, Ive had one 12 months and never suffered any Motion or Judder problems and I watch a lot of football.

I watched a multitude of content including football and aside from the inherent limitations of LCD when it comes to movement, I had no problems with judder.

Just one qu Steve. On LG tvs for eg. to get 24p to be displayed properly I think you have to turn on "Real Cinema" in the picture menu. Is there any such setting necessary on this TV ?

No it isn't.

Will you ever review the Sharp full LED models Steve?

I really hope so, I liked the look of the full LED models when I saw them at CES so I'm very keen to get one in for review.

You must have had a bad set, Ive had one 12 months and never suffered any Motion or Judder problems and I watch a lot of football.

Try tell sharp that. They seem to think its normal!

It happens when u watch replays and at the end of the game before the program ends

Is the same tv with sharp LE635E... ? if not what is the difference? thank you for your answers!

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the 635 and the 636 is that the 635 has a satellite tuner built-in. I think the 635 is a European only model and not available here in the UK.

Steve,
Are the saturation charts for gamut linearity not going to be included from now?
The main issues with the sharp panels has been their gamut linearity at various saturations.

Apologies for the absence of the saturation sweeps in the last couple of reviews we had a minor technical problem with CalMAN5 that has now been addressed. The full set of charts will be included with all future reviews.

Thanks Steve. From the various Sharp sets I calibrated, gamut linearity and luminance shifts at different saturations was an issue. It causes some issues with content for rendering of skies and slightly pale skin tones. Also for greens if I recall. These were from the 830 series. Not seen the 835/635s yet. I worked around this by calibrating at 75% saturations and sacrificing the 100% sat points. This reduced the errors for the colours at lower saturations and improved the overall colour performance on these sets.

I caught a glimpse of this TV in Comet yesteday. Realised I had probably seen it there before but had lacked interest in it, 60" LCD for £1K must be cheap and nasty, I think I must have thought.

Having been in the plasma camp, and then bought the LG LE8900 1.5yrs ago as my first LCD for the bedroom, I am still decidedly a glossy screen person and the Sharp is matte but I think it deserves a demo.

Hi,

Thanks for the review - it was very interesting.

However, I was surprised to see the standby power consumption is 19W.

Under which conditions was this (very high) standby power consumption measured ?

I am asking since my Panasonic 42GT30 plasma is using <1W in standby power. And I would certainly not expect any new TV to use more than 1W in standby power - assuming nothing is turned on, e.g. a WiFi connection might be the exception that triggered a sligthly higher consumption (but nowhere near 19W).

Another question is how are the picture quality when viewed from an angle of e.g. 30 and 45 degrees ?

Again thanks for the review :)

I was surprised to see such a high energy measurement in standby, as you say I would normally expect 1W or less. I have however noticed that some of the larger screen sizes appear to draw more power in standby than normal, for example the Panasonic P65VT50 measured 17W in standby. I'm not sure why this should be as the TV is in standby and therefore not doing anything and the conditions are the same as all the other TVs that measure less than 1W.

The picture quality at a viewing of 30-45 degrees off centre is very good, beyond that you will see a reduction in colour fidelity and contrast ratio.

Hey guys, i just got this tv about a week ago and i am constantly calibrating this tv to get up to near reference quality when it comes to picture would it be possible if u could post the settings down in this thread which u used within the review, it would surely help me, in getting a great picture.

Thanks in advance guys :DD

Thanks for the review.It is really a fantastic TV for the price point and I do not see any judder when watching football.:thumbsup:

Hey guys, i just got this tv about a week ago and i am constantly calibrating this tv to get up to near reference quality when it comes to picture would it be possible if u could post the settings down in this thread which u used within the review, it would surely help me, in getting a great picture.

Thanks in advance guys :DD

You could start by going to our PicturePerfect page and following the steps: PicturePerfect : AVForums campaign to improve television pictures | AVForums.com - UK Online and then take a look at this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/pict...ded-picture-settings-shown-menu-examples.html

As I mention in the review don't set the contrast above 30 or the panel will clip (lose detail in bright whites) and I found that a backlight setting of zero resulted in plenty of light output but also minimised the effect of the uneven backlight.

You could start by going to our PicturePerfect page and following the steps: PicturePerfect : AVForums campaign to improve television pictures | AVForums.com - UK Online and then take a look at this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/pict...ded-picture-settings-shown-menu-examples.html

As I mention in the review don't set the contrast above 30 or the panel will clip (lose detail in bright whites) and I found that a backlight setting of zero resulted in plenty of light output but also minimised the effect of the uneven backlight.

Hey Steve thank you for the links you have provided me, i've got a question tho i have ordered a Disney WoW Calibration disc would this help me out or would it be a problem to do, i am quite new to this so please bare with me lol hehe, also does this disc come with a feature dealing with backlight or would i have to manually do this by eye, once again thank you for giving me the links i will be reading this over and over until i understand in what to do.

Regards

Edit: Which AV mode are u using for the settings you used and what CMS settings did u use also did u change the values in the temperature settings or did u leave the temp values and CMS values at default, thanks again

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom