Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sharp LC-45GD1E and 1080p?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by ariomanus, Feb 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ariomanus

ariomanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm interested in a big (>=42") LCD-TV, which is able to display 1080p, so I'm reading already for a while this, a German and an US forum about LCD and Plasma TVs.

I've read that the picture of the 46" Samsung isn't as good as that of the 45" Sharp, so I'm concentrating my research at the moment on the Sharp LC-45GD1E.

Before spending a lot of money for the LC45GD1E, I'd like to know whether the Sharp is able to display 1080p as the US model LC-45GX6U does with a workaround inofficially. But so far I've found no information whether that is really working.

What I've found in the US forum:

The US Model Sharp LC-45GD6U is not able to display 1080p, the Sharp LC-45GX6U (this is the US-Version with external AVC-Box) is officially only supporting 1080i and lower resolutions. The AVC Box is scaling these resolutions to 1080p (60Hz) and is sending them through 3 cables to the 45" display itself. One of these cables has DVI-sockets on both sides.

In the US there are some Sharp customers who are feeding the Sharp LC-45GX6U display directly (not through the AVC box) with 1080p (60Hz), f.e. from a HTPC or an external scaler. But this is not supported by Sharp!!! More details on this, see a very, very long post in the US forum with a similar url like this forum here. I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to post a link here.
    The AVC box must always be connected with the other 2 cables to the display. They use a Gefen DVI switch to switch between the AVC box and the 1080p source. More details see the US forum. It seems to work fine in the US, but don't forget if something goes wrong this is not supported by Sharp so it's at your own risk if something is damaged.

For me it looks like the Sharp has a good display but the deinterlacer in the AVC box seems to be bad. F.e. I've seem in a German shop that vertical lines from a interlaced source (Denon DVD player with 1080i output or from the DVB-T receiver in the AVC box) never seem to be good.

I can't believe that I am the only one in Europe who is interested to feed the European LC-45GD1E directly at the display with 1080p 50Hz or 60Hz.
    Is it working at all? Is it only working with 1080p 50Hz or 60Hz or both?
    If it works it would be possible to get a much better picture with a HTPC or an external scaler/deinterlacer.

It would be great if someone has tried that and could post his experience with 1080p and the LC-45GD1E.

I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm sorry if there are some mistakes in my post.

Regards
    Ariomanus

2. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    according magzine reviews it does 1080p. you best bet would be to source some 1080p material from somewhere and let a retialer to sell let you test it.

3. ariomanus

ariomanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Yaka: Which magazine reviews say that 1080p input works?

4. AEON

AEON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Which part says that it accepts 1080p? It is a 1080p panel but there has been no evidence from any owners that it accepts 1080p. Infact, all the information that has been given on this forum, plus discussions with the Sharp technical lads are that it definately does not accept 1080p. It will only do 1080i then internally convert to 1080p.