Sharp LC-40LE811E no sound via arc

dr268

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am attempting to connect an amp to the above tv and have bought a PROZOR HDMI Audio Extractor to take the audio from the hdmi to feed the amp. I unfortunately get no sound at all.

I have a good idea why but I cant find how to change the setting to fix it. As per the attached picture, I cant find how to change the audio output to "Aquos audio sp" I assume when I achieve this the audio will come via the hdmi 1 arc output and the tv will be mute. Its not clear in the picture but the setting I need is greyed out as if its disabled.

I have went into the Aquos settings, set Arc to auto etc but it makes no difference. I suspect the root of my problem is in this area but cant figure it out.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks

sharp tv arc setting.jpg

The TV's user manual states that the HDMI1 port is arc-enabled but it's got to “talk” to an arc-enabled HDMI port on the amp.
Your TV has an optical output…can't you use that?

there is no optical input on the amp

I see what you mean about it talking, so the audio output is disabled because it doesn't see the audio extractor ?

how I do this is my problem, wouldnt be a fan of Sharps menus, my Sony has a much clearer system.

will have another go tomorrow

thanks

The audio output is disabled because it doesn't see arc on your amp, not the extractor.
If you’re happy with stereo (which is what you'd be getting from the Prozor anyway) you could use the TV's headphone out into an Aux input on your amp.

Last edited:
been down the headphone route before, it seems to have a very low output level even when set to audio out, the amp then needs turned up very high to get any decent volume and there is interference noise. I have tried two amps and the same on both.

I use the 3.5 output on my sony via a different amp and it works perfectly.

had another look at the Prozar, it has an Arc switch on/off, why would the tv not see it ? the amp has no arc and is only joined via audio cables.

I am actually wondering does the Prozar work at all.

I will try it on another tv

thanks

A TV can only output audio from an HDMI port if it has Arc. It's looking for a handshake from a corresponding Arc port on an amp or Soundbar.
All the Prozor does is passthrough that signal to the amp/Soundbar and process the audio and feed the resultant stereo to it's terminals.

There seem to be quite a few different variations of Prozor audio extractor - which one do you have ? Your TV won't work with most of them because they aren't ARC-enabled so the TV won't feed it a signal for the reasons described above.

But...this Prozor ARC Audio Extractor does seem to support HDMI-ARC and has the switch you mentioned so is this the model you have ? It seems it should work in theory, however note the number of one-star reviewers saying it didn't work for them. Getting HDMI-ARC to work reliably can often be problematic, even for those with TVs and AV amps from long-established manufacturers, so it's not surprising that a relatively cheap gadget might not be 100% reliable or even work at all.

If your TV has optical out but your amp only has analogue inputs, then a simpler (and probably more reliable) option would be to use a Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC) with an optical input and RCA outputs. Prices for these range from very low (Prozor themselves make one for about £13) right up to hundreds of pounds for the true audiophiles :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
that cant be the way this works, if the amp had an hdmi with arc I wouldn't be using the Prozar.

I have it wired as per the bottom photo, I presume it is supposed to create the arc signal but isnt.

prozar 1.jpg

prozar 2 .jpg

1634812717768.png

prozar 4 .jpg

There seem to be quite a few different variations of Prozor audio extractor - which one do you have ? Your TV won't work with most of them because they aren't ARC-enabled so the TV won't feed it a signal for the reasons described above.

But...this Prozor ARC Audio Extractor does seem to support HDMI-ARC and has the switch you mentioned so is this the model you have ? It seems it should work in theory, however note the number of one-star reviewers saying it didn't work for them. Getting HDMI-ARC to work reliably can often be problematic, even for those with TVs and AV amps from long-established manufacturers, so it's not surprising that a relatively cheap gadget might not be 100% reliable or even work at all.

If your TV has optical out but your amp only has analogue inputs, then a simpler (and probably more reliable) option would be to use a Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC) with an optical input and RCA outputs. Prices for these range from very low (Prozor themselves make one for about £13) right up to hundreds of pounds for the true audiophiles :)
yes thats mine,

been down the route with optical converter too.

wife hated it as it meant two remotes for the volume (tended to agree with her but wouldn't admit it)

had soundbar too (not great sound and two remotes again)

I like decent sound but like things simple. The Sony works the harman kardon amp coupled to Linn speakers flawlessly and the sound is great (would hope so as it was dearer than the tv)

The Sharp has a great picture and respectable sound but I like it loud so hence the need for an amp. Maybe its time just to buy an av amp and forget all these cheap gadgets.

Thanks for all the replies, I will just assume the Prozar if faulty and I haven't been beaten by the tv menus.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
plot thickens

worked perfect when used on other tv
Yep - I've personally not had any issues with getting HDMI-ARC to work fairly reliably with my gear, but others (even with the same TV) have struggled.

From what you've said, I would imagine that neither your TV nor the gadget are faulty but that, for some unknown reason, they just aren't compatible.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom