1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC-37P50E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ase001, Sep 7, 2005.

1. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For £1400 it seems a good buy, but there doesn't seem to be much feed back on this forum. You see thread after thread for Sony, Samsung, LG and Philips so is there any reason why Sharp aren’t as popular? Also does it lack any features that are needed to future proof it, I need to get 10+ years of use for this investment?

Any one from Sharp UK reading this, your web site is crap, lacking information and is not a good advertisement for your products! When using the search facility it can’t find any products that match 37P50E! :thumbsdow

2. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am going off memory but aren't the P50 series not true high def sets? That is the LCD panel is smaller in term of its pixel dimensions than that required to display a high def picture without downscaling in both axis?

They do have a HDMI socket so could accept a high-def feed over it but they then down scale it.

So in terms of furure proofing they can accept a high def signal but can not display it as such.

They are supposed to be designed to work better with the current PAL signal as the panel dimensions are optimised in the vertical resolution for displaying a PAL picture.

The theory goes that these sets will give a better picture on a PAL signal than a true hi-def panel that has more upscaling to do to get the PAL picture to match the higher resolution LCD panel size.

I can see the logic behind that but the assumption is that high def panels can't be made to work with a standard def feed which I think is not true certainly for the better sets that have enhanced picture processing technologies such as Philips Pixel Plus and so on.

Dave

3. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +513
    The information from Dune is fundementally correct. Sharp introduced this range as a way of bridging a gap between CRT sets and higher spec LCD ones. They are only capable of displaying current SD PAL broadcasts and are not HD Ready in that they have a screen resolution of only 960 x 540. It is my understanding that they will downscale future HD stuff via an HDMI input. Whether this was a good move by Sharp can only be judged by them being discounted so heavily. Sharp list this at £1750 so £1400 is a good price. Later this month (hopefully) they will be launching the GD7 range which will be fully HD Ready and be future proof. As yet we do not seem to have a full spec on these or prices. Sharps were always well favoured in the Forum until they produced a model without HD compatibility. They should be a strong contender up against Sony and I hope I can then put an end to a long trek towards finding my choice.

4. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the feedback, I seem to be going round vicious circles again. I shall probably rule this one out then. Can any one else suggest a 37” which is a good all rounder and less £1400.

The step up from 32” to 37” appears to be significant in terms of price, you could almost buy two 32wl56 screens for the price of a 37wl56 screen fore example. This I can’t get my head around, it can’t cost double to produce a 37” screen over a 32" surely?

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Err, you're obviously not looking hard enough, try clicking on Aquos LCD TV on the front page. Here's a link - http://www.sharp.co.uk/Category.aspx?CatID=83

6. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes you can find it by the Links, but if you have a search engine you expect it to find a current product. Also the technical detail found for the products is at best poor. How can you make an informed decision without hard factual data (ref UK site)? How can you decide if the product is fit for purpose, as mentioned on other threads functional expectation have left some members with products that actual don’t do what they thought they would do. I like to see detail in black and white of functionality, connectivity, compatibility and where it is a unique technology a good explanation of what it does.
    I work hard for my pittance and I can’t afford to waste it! :cool: