Sharp LC-37GA9E & Sky HD - Picture Problem

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by john_37, Dec 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. john_37

john_37
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Sharp LC-37GA9E for a couple of months now and set up my a new Sky HD box this morning.

I know the Sharp isn't the most expensive TV around but all the reviews I read said it still handled HD well. I have to say I am shocked by the amount of on-screen noise I am experiencing when watching both HD and non-HD channels via HDMI.

I am using the HDMI cable supplied with the Sky HD Box - surely that cable can't be the reason?

Virtually all the picture-related Menu options available on the Sharp are greyed out when HDMI is the source being used, so I can't even deploy DNR to help solve the problem.

This is not the High Definition picture-perfect experience I had been anticipating.

Has anyone any advice, has anyone experience similar problems, can anybody help me because I am sat here gobsmacked by a picture that is too poor to accept and not as good as the Sky+ via a SCART picture I was watching on the Sharp previously.

2. john_37

john_37
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Latest upate - I've replaced the cable with the best Monster cable money can buy and it hasn't made any difference... so the problem must relate to either the HD Box or the Sharp TV.

I have a Sky Engineer coming out tomorrow but am in the middle of a little experiment.

Yesterday I turned the TV on from cold when the Sky HD Box had been on for some time. I immediately tuned to a Sky HD channel and the picture was perfect for about 5 minutes then it started to deteriorate.

I wonder if this indicates a problem with the TV once it has warmed up so today am I going to try the same experiment in reverse (Sky HD from cold when TV has already been on for some time) to see if the HD picture is immediately poor.

If it is, I would deduce that the problem is either with the panel on the Sharp TV or the TVs HDMI connections.

The only question marks hanging over this theory though are:

a) if it is a problem with the panel then why isn't the problem evident when viewing transmissions via other sources (i.e. Sky from the same HD Box is fine via SCART)

b) if it is a problem with the HDMI connection, what are the chances of the same problem existing with both HDMI connections on the Sharp (it has two) - which it does!?

If the problem I have is with the Sharp (which is approximately 12 weeks old) do I contact Sharp to request they send an Engineer or do I contact Domestic and General (with whom my extended warranty for the TV exists)?

If I need to contact Sharp does anyone know the best number to contact when such a serious problem arises with such a new TV? Ideally I would rather avoid having to return the TV to company I bought it from (DigiUK) as:

a) I dont have the original packaging anymore

b) do not want to incur the cost of return

Any/all advice greatfully received