1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC-37GA4E or LC-32GD1E Titanium??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by RB5 Paul, Dec 8, 2004.

1. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've had a good quote on prices for both of these models,around £1,900 for the 37GA4e and around £2,100 for the LC-32GD1E Titanium,both of them have the same inputs and resolution etc but the titanium has a seperate media centre for all the connections which hopefully means only 1 cable running to the back of the screen.
    I was just interested in hearing peoples opinions on these screens and whether its worth paying more for a smaller titanium or should i just go for the 37" and have a load of cables running up to the back of it??
    I was also thinking of getting a Denon 1910 to take advantage of the dvi input,does it scale pal dvds up to 720 and 1080??
    I'll also be putting a sky digi-box RGB scart into it, an Xbox advanced RGB scart, a PS2 RGB scart and a video scart lead into it so i wondered if anyone could recommend a good quality RGB scart switching box that will not lose any picture quality.

Sorry to go on with my first ever post but i thought it would be easier to get all the questions out of the way at once lol :boring:

Cheers in advance

Paul :thumbsup:

P.S. I'm good with car audio if anyone needs advice on that (just not so sure on these LCD tv's :suicide: )

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you really need the media centre, you should def go with the 37" GA4E. The difference between the GA series and Titanium version, isn't worth the money.

Where did you see the 37GA4E for £1900?

3. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Wife works at a computer supplies compnay and 1 of her suppliers stocks them so thats the cost price plus vat ish.
    :D

4. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would agree 100% with that. The picture from the built in digital tuner on the Titanium sets is very poor.

James

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the Denon 1910 can upscale to 1080i but neither of the panels have a 1080 resolution. They are both 1366x768. The only Sharp panel that has 1080 is the 45".

My opinions would be to......

1) Upgrade to Sky+ and plug it into RGB SCART, that way you get SKY and a recorder so you can get rid of the VCR.

2) Plug the Denon into the DVI port.

3) Plug PS2 into RGB SCART or loop through the SKY box if no more RGB SCARTs are available.

4) Get Component upgrade for Xbox.

No need for a SCART switch box.

6. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've just upgraded my xbox to the advanced scart cable,but my ps2 connection does have component output on it so i could just get a component lead for that and i don't really fancy sky + at the minute,but it will probably happen at some point in the future lol :D

I just thought if i get the 37" and a scart switch box i could get away with just having 1 lead going to the tv plus the dvi lead,the tv will be on a low optimum glass stand with a seperate rack at the side with everything else stacked in it,thats something else,i'm trying to find a cabinet that will match with the optimum stand but have tinted or frosted glass sides and front??

Isn't this upgrading lark a pain in the :censored:

7. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So nobody recommends the titanium model?

8. Hikikomori

Hikikomori
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a 32" GD1E...

I compared it side by side with a 32" GA3 before buying, picture quality is pretty much the same with the GD1E looking marginally better IMO, but that could just be my brain thinking about the price difference :laugh:
    Anyone have any evidence that all the new Sharps use the same screen technology? Everywhere I've asked (Sevenoaks etc) have no idea! The DVB-T tuner, AVC and thinner size can't be the only things you're getting for the extra cash surely? :confused:

Anyway I wanted a small LCD for a 12' spare room and I liked the idea of having a separate AVC with built-in DVB. The smaller size (70mm deep :eek: ) and the fact that I personally like the look of the GD1E (I'm not too keen on silver/gray LCD's) and having the cash sitting in limbo helped swing it too...
    The only thing I hate about it is the poor quality of the DVB tuner (grainy compressed looking). I only demoed it with DVD's as the shop didn't have an aeriel :rolleyes: Hopefully Sharp will update it soon and get the 7 day EPG working (it's got genre filters which are totally useless ATM :rolleyes: ) and hopefully they'll get the picture quality to look at least as good as my Pace Twin :mad:

I never looked at the 37"ers, too expencive for me! And probably too big anyway (I only sit 5' away from the wall I'm going to mount it on).

The thing I always do when faced with these kind of decisions is get a piece of A4, put a line down the middle and list all the pro's and con's :laugh:

9. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well, looking down the spec tables in the brochure they look the same and I called Sharp tech support and he confirmed it! So, I bought the 37GA4E as I did not need any of the other bells and whistles ;)

10. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    So really its just down to the need for a seperate media box and whether or not i prefer the colour.

11. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Luckily my wife didn't like the colour of the Titanium. That's good I said because we haven't got an extra £1500 to buy it !

Blimey, just realised that for the price JL are flogging a 32GD1E you can get 2 GA3's ! If you can source them !!

:)