1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC-37GA4E 720p / 1080i

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by garsmi, Mar 7, 2005.

1. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Cambridge Audio DVD79 from RS and have to say i'm very impressed with the PQ via DVI. Star Wars II simply awesome!!

However, I have some questions...

I can set the the following from the DVI button on the DVD:

(Sharp set to PC Digital rather than AV Digital as this seems to give a better picture although bigger bars top and bottom)

576p - Sharp shows 800x600 50Hz
    720p - Sharp shows 1280x720 60Hz
    1080i - Sharp shows 640x480 60Hz ???

Why would 1080i give a smaller resolution on the Sharp? I also noticed that by default the Wide Mode was set to Dot by Dot giving a small box in the middle, chaning this to Full amost fills the screen apart from a 2" bar on the right hand side even after running Auto Sync. Changing the H-Pos in Fine Sync helped even this out a little but not perfect. Also the PQ doesn't seem as good as 720p.

Not understanding 720p and 1080i much, I just want to know if there may be a problem with either the Sharp or Cambridge before it's too late to do anything about it. Which should give me the better picture? (i.e fuller screen and PQ)

Any suggestions very much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

Forgot to mention!

When in AV Digital mode 1080i just shows a flashing screen, like it's struggling to figure out what the format is. The Sharp may be saying it's out of range but cannot see this.

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would have thought you should use AV Digital? What was wrong with this?

3. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jimg,

1080i does not work on AV Digital. The screen just flashes and eventually the LCD switches off as if there's no signal.

AV Digital does work on 720p and is great but PC Digital seems to have a crisper more defined picture. I take it 1080i should work on AV Digital? Do you think there may be a problem with the LCD?

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  5. ngm

ngm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    720p will give the best picture. 1080i is actually the worst resolution of all the ones you list, as it's an interlaced picture with 540 'actual' lines displayed at any time.
    What is your source material? If it's PAL then 576p is probably the best option. None of the others are going to give you any more data and the interpolations required will make the picture less good.

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The panel is 1366x768, your going to have to upscale/interpolate the picture somewhere. IMO, for a half decent DVD player, its best done at source and my preference is for 720p (or native if you can get that). Its a bit like deinterlacing, where 1/2 decent DVD players usually have better deinterlacers than the displays and they have access the the flags in the data stream to assist too.

I do agree though that 1080i is not going to be as good as 720p but not for the same reasons. 1080i actually has slightly more bandwidth than 720p as it has much higher horizontal resolution (1920 vs 1280). By the time it hits the physical panel its a progressive 1920x1080 line signal that has been downscaled so the better quality of 720p is as a result of information being discarded loosing some of the benefit of the larger data rate and for the same reasons that a progressive DVD player can provide a better picture than letting the display do the deinterlacing. If it was a 1920x1080 panel, it may be a very different story.

-Ian

7. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot guys... I will stick with 720p!

:clap:

8. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had the same issue with dvd79 with my sharp (no 1080i in AVMODE). Used 720p instead and was happy with PQ. However suffered lipsynch issues on some movies. Got refund and bought a Samsung HD745 instead and now get 1080i and native 768p in DVI AND Component, with a great PQ (and saved £90). I guess its a dvd79/Sharp thing !

:thumbsdow

9. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mickey, what do you mean by 768p? Can you play a region 1 and region 2 DVD and have it output at 768 over DVI or component? If so, is really that much better?
    Cheers
    Jim

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Samsungs can output 720p, 1080i and 768p. Bonus !

11. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    The Samsung 745 is EXCELLENT for the Sharp LCDs, and its a steal for £100!!!!

It can output in 576p, 720p, 768p and 1080i, once the Multiregion hack is applied.

12. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn that 745 sounds good. I was going to get that too but thought it was way too cheap to have a decent dvi connection. Wish I tried it first...

What do you get with 1080i? Better picture than 720p?

Can anyone tell me if the 745 plays Divx? I still have a few days left to return the Cambridge and seriously tempted although i'm more than happy with it, no lip sync on any movie watched so far and great PQ. Where have you guys bought yours from?

Cheers

13. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Plays Divx fine and mpeg4. Plays DVI on 768p fine on my sharp. Unfortunately sharp doesn't support 768p in component. But I get superb 1080i picture in component almost completely artifact free.

All in all its a superb player for the money (Refund the DVD79 at RS and order your HD745 from Digi UK like I did).

14. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    1080i works on AV digital from my Denon DVD3910 to my LC32GA4E. It sometimes says "signal out of range" when I first switch to it, but then locks on. But it is a bit pointless because the picture is much cleaner at 720p.

James

15. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I havent really used 720p on my 26GA3E much, but the 1080i looks loooooooovely ;)

Stunning value for money, and a great stop gap until a good Blu Ray recorder comes out.

16. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke too soon regarding lip sync!! Got it last night while watching Momento, returned it and got full refund this afternoon. Looking forward to getting the Samsung 745 :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot peeps :smashin:

17. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

18. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HDCP encryption is done by the source - after handshaking with the display to get a set of shared keys. So if a source is not HDCP compliant, it does not matter whether the display is HDCP compliant or is not... Disabling HDCP is only of benefit if your display is not HDCP compliant or you intend to steal the copy protected source material.

-Ian

19. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot mate... makes perfect sense when you put it like that !!

:thumbsup:

20. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This sounds interesting, I hava 37GA4E and was going to wait until HD players come along. At that price I just might get one, especially if I can output 768p. What hack do I need to make it multi-region? :smashin:

21. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Cheers mate,
    Let me know how it goes, you have a 37GA4 as well? Great screens! :smashin:

23. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problemo... Just got an email saying mine is being shipped so I guess I will be working from home tomorrow!!

Will let you know how I get on with the PQ and region hack.

Yep, I have the 37GA4E too, awesome screens both PQ and style, speakers could be better though but I will hopefully be getting some Mission M-Cubes and amp anyway. Well PQ is awesome when Sky+ is off :rotfl:

24. garsmi

garsmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well HD745 is in... PQ while pretty damn good via DVI doesn't quite match up to the Cambridge!! However, overall a much better player especially as i've saved myself £90.

768p only works in PC digital and 1080i only works in AV digital, out of range messages. Can't decide which is better yet, 720p or 1080i but both great, 768p doesn't look as good which surprised me.

Interestingly I didn't need to apply the region hack, Region 1 played right out of the box even though DigiUK already told me it's a Region 2 player.

Happy man! :thumbsup:

25. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting that you can't get 1080i, mine struggles occasionally on NTSC, on PAL always OK. Have you tried upscale component yet, after applying the hack ? Its PQ rivals DVI and on some older movies may be it is better.

I agree PQ not quite as good as Cambridge (very little in it), but no jerky panning, macroblocking or lip synch issues.

Plays everything you put in it too without any probs.

Great player for the money.