1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp LC-32GxxE dot for dot mode

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ianh64, Sep 1, 2004.

1. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Has anyone tried using their Sharp LC-32GD1E/LC-32GA3E in PC dot for dot mode over the DVI connection?

I hooked up my DVD player with scaling via the DVI (Digital PC mode) input on a LC-32GD1E and could not get a satisfactory result with dot for dot mode. I was hoping to get 1366x768, but the EDID on the Sharp appears to have been responding with 1024x768 so my DVD player was giving it just that - I got a picture with large side bars. Unfortunately, apart from 720p and 1080i, I cannot override the scaler resolution on my DVD player.

Does anyknow the answer to these questions:

1. Am I likely to have been doing something wrong with the EDID reporting 1024x768. Is there a way of overriding this?

2. On a PC, is 1366x768 reported as a valid mode from the Sharp? Presumably on a PC it is easy to select an odd resolution source.

3. Can the Sharp accept 1366x768 at 50Hz in addition to the 60hz as documented? I would guess that NTSC discs would be fine, but without 50Hz, DVD's and scaled external sources would not display unless 50Hz was available. If there is some PC software that would allow manual selecting of resolution and timing, someone could try this for me?

4. Im not particularly interested in 1080i, but when I manually set my scaler to this, I got a un-supported mode error on the Sharp. It doesn't appear on the PC mode supported resolutions but would have through that AV mode it would have been fine.

Other than the above issue and the remote appearing to be unresponsive unless it is pointed directly at the screen, my initial thoughts were very positive. Even at 1280x720p, the picture appeared to be excellent when played through my DVD player. Its just a shame that I know it could possibly be even better in dot for dot mode at 1366x768.

Thanks

-Ian

2. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,
    The EDID is set by Sharp, and I doubt you have been doing anything wrong – I doubt your DVD player pays any attention to this anyway. However, I think you might be getting a bit confused about the dot for dot mode; as it's name suggests, if activated it will output the signal without any scaling being done by the display. So, if your DVD player is outputting a 576p signal you will get a black area all around the image – the signal being input is 720x576, but the display resolution is 1366x768. So the dot for dot mode is only really useful when you input a signal at the native resolution of the display.

Can't help with testing using a PC as I don't have one of these displays (yet!). However, on a PC 1366x768 would probably not be listed as a standard resolution when connected to the Sharp. A custom resolution would need to be created using Powerstrip. Even then, most graphics cards can't output 1366x768 as it isn't a multiple of 8. If anybody else can give it a test, I'd be interested to know if 50Hz works too.

How are you finding the new Sharp? I'm really tempted by one of these, but I'm unsure how it would deal with sources such as Sky.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi

My DVD player was reporting the EDID from the Sharp as 1024x768. When in 'auto' scaling mode, the DVD players scaler uses the resolution as reported in the EDID, so it outputs 1024x768 to the Sharp when in PC dot for dot mode! When I manually override to 1280x720p, I got exactly that plus top and side bars but the clarity was fantastic even if the colours could have done with a tweak. PQ in AV mode was still very good albeit having double scaling. The problem is, with the Sharp 'incorrectly' reporting the screen size as 1024x768 and having no way of overriding the output on my DVD player, I am unable to make use of the 1366x768 native resolution that my DVD player could supply if the EDID was correct or if I could manually set it in my DVD player's scaler.

I was quite impressed with the Sharp, much more so on first impressions than the Philips 32PF9986. The remote I can see would be a pain. Limited viewing on Freeview were better than expected. Build quality looked much better.

Im hoping that the Sharp will accept 1366x768@50 and @60 - its only documented @60. If it can accept both, I would be severly tempted in the hope that my DVD player will have a future software upgrade to allow manual override of the scaler. I have also got the two new Loewe models on my short list but have yet to view either. The Philips 9986 has probably dropped off it now that the Sharp has shown that native input of some form is becoming available. Then its just the small matter of seeing if John Lewis will pricematch. Shame the 37" is considerably more. Hard to justify £1400 for 5" extra screen size.

-Ian

4. Seanmac

Seanmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello ianh64

Don,t know if you can help me or not but here goes!, I have Sharp LC37 -HV4E which I am very happy with , however i would like to connect a dvd player with DVI output to this screen, would this work?, would i get a digital picture? sorry couldn,t follow your earlier e mail I,m new to this stuff.As I am thinking that on the american version of my tv the media box has DVI instead of scart so does this mean the screen could accept a signal directly to the it thru the DVI or a switching box?
    any help appreciated

Seanmac

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi

None of the information that I have seen for the LC-37HV4E mentions a DVI socket. I have read a review of the LC-37HV6U (American version) and this does have a DVI input which is HDCP compliant, but it is more similar in specification with the 'G' designation Titanium series. I suspect that the American 'H' designation models are more advanced than the european versions.

Based upon this, it appears that you would be unable to conect a DVD player digitally to your model.

-Ian

6. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dont know what happened to the first attempt to post...

IanH64,
    The manual mentions having to manually set some resolutions on page 43?
    Would this then make it report the resolution you set?

Did you enquire about getting JL to price match?
    It looks like I may be buying one of these in the next week or so...

John

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I didn't try that option since it does not mention 1366x768, but if I had have had more time, I probably would have fiddled to see if it atleast modified the EDID. BTW, the page you mention is for the GA3E. The GD1E manual is now available online and has some useful information on the PC card interface.

I have a call out with Sharp with a list of questions. Hopefully they will respond with a more decent response than Philips tech support seem to give.

As for price match with JL, Crompton & Moore (sp?) do the unit for just over £2500 and have a retail outlet so i was going to pursue that line. Didn't find any other stockists but at almost £500 off, it is a worthwhile option. Unfortunately one post that I found mentioned that JL wouldn't price match them as they were predominately online. Im not sure how jL pricematch works but I was going to wait until I had decided on what screen to buy.

-Ian

8. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ian,
    do you have any links?

John

9. Seanmac

Seanmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian

Looks like I won`t be ordering a new DVI equipped DVD player so will have to stick to component, would adding a DVDO Iscan scaler improve my picture to my Sharp LCD as I want to get the best picture possible thru any means?

Seanmac

10. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The link for the LC-32/37GD1E manuals are here, although only the operation manual is listed at present.

-Ian

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sharp tech support have answered my questions. They are listed below with the response from Sharp. I don't think that 48 hour turnaround for the quality of the response is at all bad. Its a shame that my specific requirement of the unit supporting native resolution input at 50Hz is not possible otherwise I would have been on JL's doorstep tomorrow morning.

-Ian

Of course, Sharp may have just looked the answers up in the manual and it may still be possible, just not documented.

12. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm... so the screen will upconvert 720P signals through DVI inputs to its native 1366x768 with excellent picture quality.

Also...from what I read above... if I play a PAL movie over the DVD player inputting through DVI... there will be juddering problems?
    Isnt there some system to help deal with this... 3:2 pulldown or whatever its called? ;).
    (im assuming that these answers would carry through to the 37 inch model).

13. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    In DVI-PC mode, 60Hz is only supported and very little processing is done so judder would occur playing PAL material. In DVI-AV mode, there are more processing options available and the supported resolutions cover the normal TV SD and HD resolutions for most television standards. Watch out for the comment (#4) about 1080i.

The manual for 32" and 37" is the same so I would assume the same.

-Ian

14. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm.. so I guess the question I want to ask is have you been able to watch PAL movies without problem through the DVI port with the player set to 720?
    Been reading through the manual and it only mentions DVI pc mode :rolleyes:.

15. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I demo'd my DVD player at 720p (1280x720@50) and the picture was excellent even though double scaling was being performed. The guy at JL who assisted said it was the best picture he had seen although I guess he doesn't get much of a chance to compare products using a decent source.

-Ian
    BTW. I didn't buy the Sharp in the end due to lack of native@50.

16. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool.. thanks for the input... personally were getting the rest of the system now and waiting till next summer to either get the screen, native pc input isnt absolutely neccessary, and if they dont support it at 50 hz now perhaps they'll have it in the next model... well thanks anyway :).

17. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just bought one of these lcd sets

there is a fly sheet in the box that says 1366 will only work with analogue signal
    i cant get it via digital signal from pc

any one acheived this yet?
    Alan

whats the best price anyone seen fro the sharp37gd1