1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp L32GA3

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by AzleaAnn, Nov 12, 2004.

1. AzleaAnn

AzleaAnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I continue my search for the Lcd of my dreams....... :)

I was into John Lewis today and saw the Sharp L32GA3 screen for sale....it had a beautiful picture :)....I see that the price has come down and is now £1795...I know it will be cheaper elsewhere but I like the idea of the 5 year warranty.

Anyway...anyone have any comments re this screen ?...has it be superseeded by another model..hence the price reduction ?...I couldn't see any reviews on the net, but maybe someone could kindly point me in the right direction !

Would appreciate any feedback

Az

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1795? You can get it for £1242 on the net.

3. Orsky

Orsky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got one of these yesterday. Bought it online from TV & Video Direct for £1242. This model hasn't been out all that long, less than a year, possibly only around 6 months so I doubt its about to be superceded. Sharp are offering a free 3 year warranty deal on these up until Dec 24th.

I'm not quite ready to endorse the tv as yet, the picture quality was far better on my old 29" Sony CRT. Still, its early days and I'm sure there are dozens of settings I can twiddle with to get the best out of it yet (never had to do that with a CRT though :confused: )

4. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  5. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just happened to drop into a local independent yesterday - they had the 26GA3 for £1799 and the 37" for £2999 so just for a laugh I asked them for a price on the 32GA4 that I'm after (which they didn't have in stock at the time and would be getting more of in in about a week). They came back with £1999 and obviously I declined that.

Anyway - a few minutes later the manager came wandering over and said that he'd been told we had found it cheaper than their £1999 and asked how much I'd seen it for. I told him £1279 at an internet retailer and £1379 at a "shop" ... he went away and ten minutes later came back and said "I can't equal £1279 but if I can do it for £1379 then would you go for that?"

So ... deal done - seems that this time of year people are prepared to deal just to get turnover.

Phil

6. Alexeroth

Alexeroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is now an LC32GA5E on Pricerunner.com. So maybe this will be a replacement.

7. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 32GA5E is a cheaper version of the 32GA3E, not a new, improved model (see separate thread specifically on this set). The model up from the 32GA3E is the 32GD1E but you'd pay about £1000 more for it and, apart from being a different colour and having a digital tuner I'm not sure there's much difference.

8. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    its thiner and has a media box, which is priceless for wall mounting

9. AzleaAnn

AzleaAnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of questions some kind person could help me with please....

On the Sharp L32GA3 (I'm getting confused with all these version numbers!) the one I saw in John Lewis with the speaker along the bottom of the screen...is the speaker detachable ?

It has a contrast ratio of 800:1 does this mean that dark area's wont be as black as often happens with Lcd ?

Orsky above mentioned Sharp were offering a 3 year warrenty on these Lcd's..I can't see any mention of this on the Sharp website...and online stores are still offering an extended warranty but at a charge..any more info ?

Okay that was 3 question rather than a couple ..I lied :)

Az

10. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The GA3E has the speaker on the bottom and the GA4E has speakers at the side. They are detachable. If you're thinking of removing the speakers then consider that the GA3E has a taller stand because of the bottom speaker. A contrast ratio of 800:1 is about as high as it gets. I've certainly not seen higher in this price range.

11. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    so are you saying the speakers are detachable on both versions? I cant decide between the 2 now! And if the '3' has a higher stand - is this good or bad?

13. chilin_dude

chilin_dude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And in shops!

14. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers are detachable on both. The stand height is a personal thing but I guess that without the speakers the '4' would look more in proportion to the stand. However, I like my set to sit a little bit higher up so I would actually go for the '3' out of these two.

15. AzleaAnn

AzleaAnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

What shops ??....I've seen the 26' Sharp for around £1295 in shops but not the 32

16. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a local independent in Southampton give me a price of £1379 on the 32GA4E - their advertised price was £1999 but I guess they wanted the sale.

Phil

17. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    will they haggle over the price of a 32GD1E, they have them for 2400 but with no options, will this be covered by Sharps 3 year Garuntee?

I believe this is the model that home cinema says is a match for plasma and better then the new sony

18. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Looks like it only has a 1 year warranty. It seems only Sharp offical dealers offer the 3 year offer (for example Empire DIrect doesn't either).

They do offer 24 months interest free.

Will they haggle? Give them an email (usually takes a day to respond) or a call. Go armed with some prices and see what they come up with. They are offering their 5 year warranty on some of the cheaper Sharps, so you could press for them to throw that in?

Cheers
    Marc

19. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    All Aquos bought in the UK will have three year warranty surely - the offer is from Sharp not their dealers

20. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    just emailed rob whyte asking why the GD1e doesnt come with a 5 year warranty, and the price of 2430 delivered isnt bad, but would be nice if you could lower it abit:p

what a cheeky b*stard I am

21. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hahaha

22. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    just got a reply the 5 year warranty includes the 32GD1e.
    they are gonna update the website tommorrow, totally ignore my price suggestion