Sharp HT-SBW800 Soundbar Review & Comments

Thanks for that Steve, I'm pleasantly surprised this one made the review list. I was following it for a while in the other, very quiet, thread but there's been some mention of the centre channel being weak so I've kinda discounted it - I can picture constant "what did she say?" queries from her ladyship. It doesn't appear that you've had a similar experience. The price is hard to ignore though, especially if you fancy a trip to the Amazon via Germany.

It's a shame that all these brands are now under the Chinese umbrella. Sharp has long gone.

Great review. Also great that Sharp have managed to include 2 HDMI inputs when other, more expensive bars, only have 1. I wonder if this is to make up for the lack of eARC?

Going into the review though, I did think it had rears due to it claiming to be 5.1.2.

Going into the review though, I did think it had rears due to it claiming to be 5.1.2.
As I mention in the review that's some rather misleading advertising. The extra two channels are the side-firing drivers on the 'bar.

Thanks for that Steve, I'm pleasantly surprised this one made the review list. I was following it for a while in the other, very quiet, thread but there's been some mention of the centre channel being weak so I've kinda discounted it - I can picture constant "what did she say?" queries from her ladyship. It doesn't appear that you've had a similar experience. The price is hard to ignore though, especially if you fancy a trip to the Amazon via Germany.
I didn't have any problems with the centre channel, and its sudden and significant price drop does make it very tempting at the price.

As I mention in the review that's some rather misleading advertising. The extra two channels are the side-firing drivers on the 'bar.

Do you have any insight into how companies decide of what features to include? It will obviously come down to cost, but for example, is it cheaper to include 2 normal HDMI inputs than 1 eARC output (along with just 1 HDMI input)?

Do you have any insight into how companies decide of what features to include? It will obviously come down to cost, but for example, is it cheaper to include 2 normal HDMI inputs than 1 eARC output (along with just 1 HDMI input)?
It primarily comes down to cost, but companies also conduct market research. I'll bet if you asked 100 consumers whether they'd rather have two HDMI inputs or an output with eARC, most would go for the former because they have no idea what eARC is. And the few that chose the latter would be AVForums members!

It primarily comes down to cost, but companies also conduct market research. I'll bet if you asked 100 consumers whether they'd rather have two HDMI inputs or an output with eARC, most would go for the former because they have no idea what eARC is. And the few that chose the latter would be AVForums members!

Haha, yea - good point! 😂

Great review, I echo the sentiment re no longer really a product from a prestigious Japanese brand, but hey ho , that's the world we now live in with the Chinese wanting to supply everything from infrastructure to viruses!

Shame about only decoding standard DTS. I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

Hi I am looking at getting this soundbar or the sony g700...can someone recommend which one would be the better one to go for?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom