Sharp guarantees honoured?

Reaction score
I may just have been unlucky but have just has a very confusing conversation with the Sharp helpdesk about my projector.

Basically my projector is bust and they won't fix it under warranty because they claim the retailer should but the retailers is now bankrupt!

Luckily the repair is only £154 so I guess things could be worse. Problem seems to be a 'dry joint' which is apparently very common on the model I bought PG-M20X. Sounds like a manufacturing cock up to me so doesn't say much for Sharp quality control.

Apparently Sharp have been selling their products cheaper to some retailers if the retailer agrees to honour any warranty claims. If the retailer then goes bust you will have no guarantee on the product and if it goes badly wrong get ready for a big bill! As the guarantee on some Sharp products is 3 years you are taking quite a gamble on whether the retailer is around to honour the warranty.

Sharp will not confirm in advance of purchase which retailers this policy applies to so it is entirely at the buyers own risk. Sharp will not mark the boxes etc in anyway to show the product has no warranty as it is too much trouble for them according to their helpdesk!

You only find out about the problem when you send in the projector for repair and they check your invoice against their list of 'excluded' retailers.

My projector was a full UK product not some gray sourced import which I would expect to not be covered by Sharp UK.

The helpdesk guy claimed the practise was common and is likely to affect many retailers who quote low prices on the price comparision sites.

Has anyone else experience of this problem, either with Sharp or another manufacturer?

I am currently thinking about buying a new projector and want to know which brands / retailers are safe to buy from!

thanks

Ken

Never heard of a situation like this before.

Not good for Sharp PR - I mean, who would want to purchase a Sharp PJ now when they are effectively saying they won't honour warranty depending on where you purchase it from?

Good luck with this, tell Sharp it's going to create a lot of bad will and mention this forum, see if it changes their view...PJ

They are taking the pee.

A warranty is fundementally with the manufacturer, usually the retailer is an agent of the warranty, but does not have to be.

In addition grey imports are also covered by pan European warrantees, for which the local manufacturer has to honour.

Put them under pressure they are wrong.

Just to add I worked in Brussels a few years ago and Sharp can receive huge fines for not honoring pan European warranties. VW had some huge penalties a few years back for a similar issue.

Companies can try this on as much as they want but as soon as the consumer gets serious and questions it they "Sharp" are in deep do doo. I would assume that this is simply a misinformed employee at Sharp UK.

First a disclaimer. I am not a lawyer & do not aspire to be one. However that has never stopped me offering my opinion:)

Under the Sale of Goods Act your contract is only with the retailer. Manufacturers do not have to offer any kind of warranty but the person who took your money does. If it's clearly a failure because of a manufacturing fault then it's clearly 'Not fit for purpose' or even 'Not of the quality expected' under the SoGA. If the retailer goes bust then basically you are out of luck.

However manufacturers normally do offer a warranty that adds to your rights. They do this for good PR & to increase sales. Some products have amazing manufacturers warranties like most computer monitors have 3 year on site next day replacement. You should have had some documentation with your projector like one of those warranty cards that I always forget to fill in. Which reminds me I must register my projector with Panasonic!

Who did you speak to at Sharp? Was it Sharpserv as I know they are a pain in the bum. As long as you have you proof of purchase, warranty should be offered.
Have you called their CIC department about this? as you should not have to pay for it, as long as you had your proof of purchase? Their number is 08705 274 277. They sorted out some probs I was having with Sharpserv (Who are an indemendant company acting on behlaf of Sharp).
I'd give them a call, you never know, you might get your money back and an extension on the warranty.

Thanks all for your suggestions/comments.
I spoke to someone at Sharp in manchester after first talking to Sharpserv
I will get back to Sharp and see whether they can be persuaded to honour their guarantee.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom