1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp GA6 32 inch setup advice please

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by hermes, Oct 20, 2005.

1. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have setup my LCD as best as I know how but could do with some extra advice please as the manual does leave some info out.

I've got NTL cable and want to get the most out of it I can so:

I used the autsetup function to get the terestrial 5 channels.

I know I can use the input mode to change ext sources but I also manualy setup channel 6 tuned into the cable as well to make it easier for the kids to use. I also tuned in the video to the traditional channel 8.

I have the usual NTL settop box and video, DVD player all kind of conected via scart cables into each other.

The arial goes through the video and the NTL cable goes straight into the LCD via a scart lead.

I really want to know if this all seems like a normal setup as I am very unsure of what I have done!

There is also the option to tune in arial or cable, I have tuned the arial with this and slo tried doing another manual tune using the cable option but it seems to be the same.

any advice please?

cheers

2. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please?

3. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I assume you have the Samsung Digital NTL box. You say that you have connected your other equipment by SCART. Since SCART connections overide the 'tuning in' aspect of receiving RF signals and give you a much better picture I am left wondering why you are wanting to use RF. I believe the NTL box sends out an RF'aerial' signal on channel 68. You could try running the autotune sequence again this time ensuring that the digital box and your video recorder are switched on then the tv should detect them. You cannot 'tune in' the output of your DVD player;the output is usually SCART only. I suppose that the explanation as to why Sharp left this information out of the manual as it not something that people would generally want to do. If you have the older analogue Pace box from NTL I would suggest you ask them if they can upgrade you. Sorry if I appear to be stating the obvious.

4. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Mike, nothing's obvious to me!
    It's a new settop box so I must have the latest version I suppose.
    Having said that I still don't understand why there is an option to tune either cable or ariel if you know what I mean.
    I hope another GA6 user may help.

cheers

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I'm not a GA6 user so someone who is might be able to help if there is a particular problem to this set. I am an NTL user though. Personally I never bother to connect the Aerial output of my Samsung NTL box to my TV. If you connect the normal outdoor aerial to the 'Antenna' socket, and the 'RF out' to your Tv aerial socket (via the via recorder or not) then all that happens is an extra channel (68 I think) is added which is the programme your NTL box is receiving. Obviously the picture is the same,but inferior, to the digital one you receive through the SCART. I can only imagine that this facility is provided by the Samsung box for people who have old televisions without SCART sockets. It has no other purpose. I leave it unconnected because it is one less cable behind my tv. Sharp may have highlighted it because there are some older cable systems which do not use SCARTs either and you have to connect by RF. Any help ?

6. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Mike thanks again for the help.

I'm not at home now so I can't check it out but point taken.
    Only problem is recording from the cable isn't it, I normally would record to video using the ariel lead from the settop box while watching another cable channel.
    So your suggestion is to ditch the ariel completly and just use ntl?

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    If you want to record 'off the air' then connect your aerial directly to the video recorder and record as normal. The video record RF output then goes into the aerial socket of the tv. The tv should have a 'channel' assigned to the video recorder. That's what I do. Better quality recording if you bring SCARTs into the equation, but I only use video to record the odd soap episode so I'm not looking for top quality recording. Recording stuff off NTL gets a bit more complicated, but is feasible. I could draw you a diagram if you contact me directly.

mike

8. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Mike thanks for your help.

9. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Hermes,

If I understand you correctly, you are wanting to be able to watch an NTL channel while recording a terrestrial channel through the aerial.

This is how I would connect the equipment.

First. Connect the NTL set top box to Input 1 (SCART) on the TV. Go into the setup menu on the tv and make sure that input 1 is set to RGB. Do the same on the NTL box, make sure the signal being output is RGB.

Second. There should be another SCART socket on the back of the NTL box. If there is, connect the DVD player into this. Again, go through the DVD player menu to make sure it is outputting an RGB signal. Connecting it like this means that on the odd occaision you watch a DVD, all you do is turn on the DVD player and it should override the NTL signal to the TV (Make sure you've switched to Input 1 on the TV though). To get NTL back, turn off the DVD player.

Third. Connect the RF lead from the roof aerial to the Video.

Fourth. Connect the Video to Input 2 on the TV.

Video recorders only record RF signals so there is no point connecting it to the RGB input on a TV since an RGB source is a lot better quality than RF or Composite.

Post back if I've got anything wrong or you need more information.

Richie.

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    If the GA6 behaves the same as the P50 then connect your DVD via scart to Ext2 which is also an RGB input and you'll have no problems when switching it on and off. You still need to connect the Video to the NTL box if you want to record NTL channels.

This is the way I would do it.

Connect your NTL box via Scart into Ext1, if you've got one connect DVD into Ext2 via scart.

Now RF cable goes into the NTL box, cable out from NTL to Video Input, Cable out from Video into TV RF input.

Now select the video channel you've assigned to your TV and tune the Video recorder to pickup the NTL signal as well as the other terrestrial channels, which I'm sure you've already done.