1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp GA5E - picture distortion from panning

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by woody67, Mar 14, 2005.

1. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    GA5E 32"

I've noticed that when the image scene pans, the screen image gets distorted in the centre of the screen. Hard to explain, but it is like the image speeds up and moves closer together while in the central 1/3 of the screen, and it slows/spreads back out when it emerges towards the end 1/3 of the screen.

Would this be related to the programme, the broadcast or a screen setting? Or is it a fault?

Cheers

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It sounds like you are watching in a non linear scaling mode - a non 16:9 picture, say a 4:3 broadcast, is scaled to the 16:9 screen by distorting the picture. To make the distortion, a non linear mode distorts the center of the image less than the outsides so that objects towards the center of the picture will still look at their correct aspect ration, or close to it. Towards the edges of the screen, more distortion takes place.

For a still image, non linear is pretty good, but for panning or horizontally scrolling text, it looks really weird. the effect is that as images move towards the center of the screen, they look squeezed, or further towards the edge they look stretched out - it depends on how you loot at it. I was in JL last week and noticed this to great effect. The LCD's were all tuned into Sky sports news with a ticker tape scrolling right to left. On many of the displays, the letters were starting off big, compressing down in the center of the screen, then stretching wide again.

Does this sound like what you are seeing? If so, then you should beable to change it either in the STB or by selecting another scaling option in the display even if it means 4:3.

In JL the only screen on display using that same feed that was not showing this was a Sony MR1. The Sharp GD, GA's were, both the Philips 9986 and its baby brother and a Panasonic Viera. When I got home, I checked Sky Sports news on my Loewe Xelos and the scroll was uniform. Whether it does it or not does not indicate a fault, just a different approach to scaling. Hopefully what scaling is used is the users choice.

-Ian

3. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. You're in 'Panorama' scaling mode.
    Press the button above 'Rotate' on the remote control to cycle thru the available scaling modes. (Panorama, Full, 4:3 etc)

You can also set the auto WSS mode in the menus - so 'Full' mode is automatically selected when viewing 16:9 material, and 'Panorama' or whatever mode is selected when viewing 4:3 material.

4. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there not an option for this be done automatically depending on the broadcast ? or have I missed the point ?

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes, that is what Lcdguru is saying...

6. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good to know, seeing as I get the cheap bit of plastic delivered at some point this week...... :cool:

7. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks all.

Yes, this squeezing efect more accurately describes it.

The set is in 'auto' mode, and as the people in the programs did not look small and fat, nor have wide faces, we assumed the programmes were in widescreen format!

Cheers