1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp GA4 vs GA5 or something else

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by decto, Jan 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. decto

decto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm increasingly tempted by an LCD screen to replace my 25" 4:3 sony.
    I was originally going to pick up a mid range 28" widescreen but with similar 26" LCD's kicking about for around £800 one could find a happy home next to my front room PC so a DVI or Xvga input is a must.

Having looked at the discounted Toshiba's and Philips at Currys and Comet (John Lewis were out of stock) and read most of the posts on this forum I'm now tempted by the Sharp Aquos GA4 or GA5.

Does anyone know the significant difference between these two as only the GA4 lists DVI on the sharp site and as they're both around £950 I'd prefer the newer model providing I can connect a PC.

Any advice welcome.

2. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I believe the newer (GA5) model doesn't have DVi or removable speakers. Not sure why Sharp have updated their LCD range to an inferior model.

I would try and get a 26" GA4 (or 3) but probably best to buy sooner rather than later as they have been discontinued.

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thry were all planned at the same time as you can see in the glossy catalogue. The idea was to release the reduced functionality GA5 round about now to sit alongside the GA3/4 models. Sharp got it wrong and seem to have run out of the GA3 and GA4's and we are left with the GA5 with a lower spec but not a lower price now! :suicide:

4. decto

decto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, the GA4 is a little cheaper than the GA5 which helps..... now if only John Lewis would price match!