1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp GA4 - DVI input question

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by hoyin, Jan 25, 2005.

1. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you all have your Sharps connected via DVI ..

My Sharp 26" GA4E is arriving this weekend.

But I need to get a new graphics card to run it.

However I want to run it from my work machine and not from a dedicated HTPC.

Therefore I want to be able to work whilst the TV is on as well.

Can the ATI or Nivida output a different desktop via the DVI output whilst outputting another via VGA?

I don't want to expand a window on my VGA desktop and for it to cross over on to my TV!

Also does anyone use long cable runs? i.e. 15m? Are you getting any loss in PQ?

Also which graphic card would you recommend and why? ATI or Nivida? and what model .. there seem to be so many.

Any help would be appreciated, I need to make a decision ASAP.

2. joepool

joepool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In short, you can achieve what you want - it's a fairly basic multi-display configuration - just because they are different output types doesn't mean you can't use multi-display.

Most graphics cards with a dual-head (DVI+VGA) output will do what you want - my preference is for nVidia when it comes to dual display stuff, but there'll be folk who disagree. I prefer nVidia for the ease of configuring the output using their proprietary control panel.

3. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks .. do you have a Geforce 6600 or 6800 card? Is it worth it to go for a 6800? I won't be playing games just outputting DVD and TV to my LCD.

4. joepool

joepool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need to go that high spec if you won't be playing games - save your cash and get a cheaper model - something like this will do the job:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-N57128DP.htm

Consider a 256Mb model if you're going to be running either display at very high resolutions.

One point to note - most tv cards use hardware overlay techniques to display the video - most graphics cards can only handle 1 overlay at a time, so this would mean whilst you could watch tv on one display you could not play a game that used overlay techniques or use Media Player to watch a movie clip (Media Player also uses an overlay) on the other display.

5. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been doing some research:

On the purevision system and there is this link talking about the newest nVidia card vs the ATI cards, which the nVidia card win:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2305&p=1

And this link talking about DVI compliance and perhaps the affects of using longer cables which the ATI wins, but note they are not reviewing the supposed best nVidia cards.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041129/index.html

So I am now still a bit confused on which to go for!

But they were interesting reads though .. more research needed!