Sharp G Series Appretiation Thread

richjthorpe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Whether you've got a 26", 32", 37" or a monstrous 45".....

Whether it's a GA3E, GA4E or GD1E.....

Marvel in the fact that:

It's HDTV ready
It can display FULL NATIVE RESOLUTION when hooked up to a HTPC
There are so many connections you can actually have a Prog Scan DVD player via Component AND a HTPC via DVI
Blacker Blacks
Neat thin silver/titanium bezel
Removable speakers
1 bit digital amplifier if you wanted to keep the speakers
Near excellent PQ which, when Hi Def is introduced, will wipe the floor with anything available now
Loads of picture control options to suit everyones neads

All done at half the price of the closest rival

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the best all rounder LCD on the market....the Sharp G series.

:) :D :laugh: :rotfl: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Very nice too, but didn't buy because it wouldn't do native resolution at 50Hz. Very pretty especially the GA4. Can I be a proxy owner as I have a Loewe which is basically a Sharp, but better :D

richjthorpe said:
Whether you've got a 26", 32", 37" or a monstrous 45".....

Whether it's a GA3E, GA4E or GD1E.....

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the best all rounder LCD on the market....the Sharp G series.

:) :D :laugh: :rotfl: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hmmmmm, I notice the GA5 is absent from this list.
Is this the ugly sister that is locked away in the attic and forgotten?

I would also marvel in Sharps' ability to not know what is going on in terms of supplying its' own products, and having an out of date product website

ianh64 said:
Very nice too, but didn't buy because it wouldn't do native resolution at 50Hz
According to the HDTV thread it does.

ianh64 said:
Very pretty especially the GA4. Can I be a proxy owner as I have a Loewe which is basically a Sharp, but better :D
I shall fill out an affiliate form which you will need to sign.....and donate a DVD to the club :thumbsup:

woody67 said:
Hmmmmm, I notice the GA5 is absent from this list.
Is this the ugly sister that is locked away in the attic and forgotten?

Jury is still out on the GA5. Since the TV is not currently available, you can't really appreciate it, can you. Also, it doesn't have a full complement of inputs or removable speakers......I suppose that's 9986 territory though :rotfl:

woody67 said:
I would also marvel in Sharps' ability to not know what is going on in terms of supplying its' own products, and having an out of date product website

Hey, can't have it all, but for those who have one, the Sharpserv is supposedly excellent !

So would u recommend the G4 for me? Im not into too much techie stuff but basically wanting a LCD 26" which has good picture quality from an ariel as well as scart via sky if that makes sense. So if it doesnt but in terms of Tele's I just know to press the on button on the Remote!.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know what the quality of the RF signal is on these as I have a freeview box, but some say the PQ is quite decent for an LCD. But why would you want to use an RF aerial when all of the channels are available on sky ?

It does have Scart. Use Input 1 to enable RGB.

Richie.

Thanks for that like I said im not that up on it. I guess the reason I am thinking of having it on RF a lot of the time, is that a distribution system was installed so the kids can watch sky in there bedroom via the sky box down stairs and I dont want to watch Nick Jr all the time so use the RF feed. I think that makes sense!!

Fair enough, understand that. But personally I would also get a cheap freeview box and connect it via Scart. If you get a freeview box with 2 Scarts and RGB throughput, you can connect the sky box to the back of the Freeview box then onto the LCD tv meaning you get RGB quality signals from both boxes. Unfortunately, although the 26" has 2 scarts, only one is RGB.

Richie.

Or I could record Nick Jr onto tape and play it on auto rewind, put it in the kids video and they would never know any difference ;-)

1 great thing about the sharp over other TVs is that its speaker is below the screen so you get greater viewing area for a given width. Is the a version that has a DVI input and no external media centre box, ie all connections are on the TV itself. I am thinking of 37" size

i wouldn't appreciaite sharp discontinuing the ga4 and ga3 series and replacing them with tv's minus the dvi socket, detachable spreaker and having the cheek to sell them at the same price :thumbsdow

richiecas said:
1 great thing about the sharp over other TVs is that its speaker is below the screen so you get greater viewing area for a given width. Is the a version that has a DVI input and no external media centre box, ie all connections are on the TV itself. I am thinking of 37" size

The one you are looking for is a 37GA3E or the 37GA4E for speaker on the side. These are becoming scarce though but try John Lewis.

chris210972 said:
i wouldn't appreciaite sharp discontinuing the ga4 and ga3 series and replacing them with tv's minus the dvi socket, detachable spreaker and having the cheek to sell them at the same price :thumbsdow

Not replacing, just a lesser flexible model. Proper prices aren't out yet as they are not in stock.

i must admit that after my 9986 went back due to a fault i wanted to buy a ga4 or a ga3 but i couldn't find any of the buggers anywhere.
empire direct had them on their site at 1250.00 (ish) and kept saying it'll be about 4 weeks for delivery.
eventually they took them off their site.

only way to get the G 3/4 series over 32" is by buying from another european contrie now. damn shame

richjthorpe said:
According to the HDTV thread it does.

I shall fill out an affiliate form which you will need to sign.....and donate a DVD to the club :thumbsup:
Nope. They only does native at 60Hz. Not a problem though if you are using it with a HTPC. I just wanted to use it with a video source, which is more of an issue.

Next time I see a non Philips TV being demo'd with the Philips test DVD I will remove it and pass it on :D

I agree I just love my 37GA4E :thumbsup:

ianh64 said:
Nope. They only does native at 60Hz. Not a problem though if you are using it with a HTPC. I just wanted to use it with a video source, which is more of an issue.
So, what happens when you link the Denon 1910 DVD player through the DVI input, does that switch from PAL to NTSC ?

still love the fantastic HD images on my 45". Picture quality is astounding. even when veiwing from less than 30cm away

richjthorpe said:
So, what happens when you link the Denon 1910 DVD player through the DVI input, does that switch from PAL to NTSC ?

The 1910 will give 720p or 1080i - it wont do 1366x768, ie native panel resolution, but not many players will. In AV-digital mode, it quite happily supports 720p at 50Hz and 60Hz. It wasn't so happy at 1080i and Sharp have admitted a problem with some sources at 1080i.

When I tested via HDMI->DVI-D with a GD1E (its the same with the GA3/4) in PC dot for dot mode (1:1 mapping) back last September I got a bordered picture of 1280x720 like the Philips. Now I can't remember for definate if this was at 50 or 60Hz, but probably just 60Hz, which is as documented both in the Sharp manual and in correspondence that I have had with Sharp direct. From what I do remember though was that I was getting some picture judder on pans, which would be caused by the 50Hz to 60Hz conversion, so it does back up the documentation and a technical response from Sharp a long while back that it is 60Hz only.

However, whilst 1:1 mapping is useful for a relatively still image such as a PC, using AV mode, which doesn't do 1:1 mapping, and scaling is more than adequate. I was very impressed with the display and so were the staff in JL Kingston, enough to proclaim it was the best image that they had ever seen. The only thing that stopped me from buying right there and then was me having a few unanswered questions and JL not allowing me to return without a 10% restocking fee.

The other things against the PC mode for video sources is whether the input expects DVI-PC levels or DVI-Video levels. I would imagine that this is determined on whether you have selected AV mode or PC mode. However, without using DVE or knowing the screen well, tt would be difficult to judge. If the PC dot for dot mode was expecting DVI-PC levels (0..255), then you would loose detail in dark or bright areas as the dynamic range of the input available from a DVI-video source (16..235) would effectively be truncating the black 0..15 and white 236..255 value range, something that would be impossible to calibrate out.

So for a DVD player, I would not overly worry about 1:1 mapping not being available for 720p50. PQ is stonking on the Sharp even if scaled up and also not being too sure about video/pc levels expected on the DVI input whilst in PC mode would also be an issue.

My main issue was finding a display that would accept native at 50/60Hz. For the 1366x768 panels, only the Loewe would do this. Unfortunately my DVD player manufacturers are being a bit anal in not allowing this as a manual output resolution - it will only work if the EDID says that it was supported, which many displays, Sharps included, do not.

-Ian

Found a local Sevenoaks store with LC32GA4E's in stock - Only catch was the price - only £2499 !!!!!

I queried the price and he confirmed correct, plenty of stock too, I wonder why ?

MickyGee said:
Found a local Sevenoaks store with LC32GA4E's in stock - Only catch was the price - only £2499 !!!!!

I queried the price and he confirmed correct, plenty of stock too, I wonder why ?

amazing isn't it.
empire direct were selling these for 1265.00 2 months ago.
no stock now unfortunately.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom