1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp DVI connection

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richjthorpe, Jan 21, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Does anyone know if the GA3 can take an analogue signal through the DVI ?

Richie.

2. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're talking vga output from your videocard with a dvi converter at the end of the cable then yes it will.

3. Mads

Mads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

'Converter' could maybe be misunderstood. You don't actually need to convert any signals if you take the analog VGA output of a graphics card and connect it to the DVI input of your Sharp LCD.

You just need a plain (cheap) cable which has a VGA connector in one end and a DVI-A connector in the other end.

That is how I connect my laptop to my Sharp LCD.

-Mads

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks guys.

Mads, you say a DVI-A connector in the other end. Are there cables that can take both Analogue and Digital (DVI-I is it) ? I need a 5m cable and will want to use it later for a DVD player and HTPC in the future using a digital signal.

Thanks,

Richie.

5. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVI-I does both yes. However my denon DVD player only has a DVI-D connector which is mechanically incompatible with DVI-I ( too many pins, not enough holes) So be aware that you may find the DVD player won't be able to use the DVI-I cable.

6. Mads

Mads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you could get a DVI-I cable (analog+digital) with DVI-I connectors in both ends and a VGA - DVI-A adapter. You could then reuse the DVI-I cable when you go all digital.

But considering that a VGA - DVI-A cable is so cheap why not just go for the easy solution :)

- Mads

7. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What's the 2910 like ? I was thinking of the 1910.

I need a 5m cable and I'll be feeding it behind walls and everything. I could run another cable but it would be a bit arsey.

Where can I get cheap DVI cables from ?

8. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Online computer suppliers like www.dabs.com or www.simply.co.uk. HiFi cable suppliers are usually outrageously expensive for DVI. I got a 3m DVI-D single link Belkin cable from Simply for £15 including postage before Christmas. This has now gone up to £23, so you need to shop around.

James

9. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try CPC (cpc.co.uk) a division of Farnell. Just type in their search engine DVI. I get all my interconnects from them cos they are cheap and offer a good selection.

10. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You may want to consider the 2910 due to the inclusion of HDMI output. The smaller connector could make feeding the cabling alot easier. Then at the TV end, you either have a HDMI->DVI-D converter or simply run a HDMI->DVI cable.

-Ian

11. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is a numpty question, but I have been trying to discover on these threads if I can run something like the Denon 1910 to my Sharp 26GA3 via the DVI-I input - other threads seem to suggest it's possible, but you suggest above that the DVI-I and DVI-D cabling are incompatible. Is it just a matter of getting some form of conversion lead or is it more problematic than that?

Do you think it would be worth trying to use the DVI over component with Progressive Scan on a 26 inch TV at all? Any advice gratefully received.

12. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Barnetto,

The DVI iput on the Sharps is classed as DVI-I. This means the input will accept plug types of DVI-I (Analogue and Digital), DVI-D (Digital) and DVI-A (Analogue).

The slight difference between the plugs are additional pins. DVI-I has 4 additional pins over the DVI-D plug.

When connecting a Denon 1910 DVD player, you need a DVI-D cable as the Denon will not physically accept a DVI-I cable. The are no pin holes for a DVI-I's extra 4 pins.

Richie.