1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp DV-HR350H

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DIGITAL VIRGIN, Dec 15, 2004.

1. DIGITAL VIRGIN

DIGITAL VIRGIN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered this unit to match a forthcoming LC26GA4E. Now I should have read this forum first as I am now a bit worried as to my choice. I would value any comments as to whether I have made a big :oops: or will it be OK. There might be time for me to change the order - your quick comments would be appreciated.

David

2. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David! I got the Sharp DV-HR300 when it first came on sale in the UK. However, if I was buying one today, I would not buy a Sharp. I would probably go for the Panasonic 85, as imo Panasonic make the best recorders :) .

3. DIGITAL VIRGIN

DIGITAL VIRGIN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: Because of not having experienced anything more hi tec than a VCR I could live with some lack of functionality but if you were to tell me that the record and playback was poorer then I might send back an unopened box to TV & Video Direct.

Give it to me straight Invincible - I can take it (I think)?

4. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is not really to do with lack of functionality, or even poor quality recording/playback, but more to do with reliability.

I am not that impressed with my Sharp. ONE of the problems I am having with mine is that some of my recordings on the HDD do not play back properly anymore, despite a HDD reset. Also, the system is not that reliable. This is not to say that your recorder will present any problems, but as DVD recorders are fairly new, and therefore not the most reliable of things to buy, I would definitely go for the best brand, like Panasonic for example.

Panasonic have been making/selling DVD/HDD recorders for a lot longer than Sharp in the UK, and therefore, more likely to be more reliable and better quality, as they would have had more chance to iron out problems.

The only reason I got a Sharp was that it was VERY cheap at the time (£305) compared to others which were around £600. What it really boils down to is if you also got it a lot cheaper (which I doubt you did as they are all a lot cheaper now), then you may want to take the risk of keeping it, and hoping it doesn't present any problems. Otherwise, if you can get a full refund, I would do so.

:)

5. MacHovis

MacHovis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DV-HR350H has just started to misbehave (after about 3 years of infrequent use).

On power-up both of the blue HDD and DVD indicators on the front of the system flash slowly.

I have tried to reset the system but that did not help. This has been tried after disconnecting and reconnecting to the mains.

Various other functions fail to operate either by using the remote control or the system-front controls: it is not possible to open the DVD drawer; self-tuning fails to complete.

On power-up I can hear the HDD spinning as normal - so I am hoping that it is not a HDD failure.

Does anyone know the meaning of the flashing indicators? And, if so, the remedy. :lease:

TIA

MacH