1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp DV-HR300F - £299 at Comet

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by akpak, Sep 9, 2004.

1. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just noticed that Comet are selling these online at £299. Are they any good?

I still haven't decided what to get, though I'm currently leaning towards the Pioneer 420, but how does this one compare? I'm always happy to save £100 - so long as I'm not getting a lemon.

The Sharp website seems rather light on information, so I'd be grateful for anything anyone can tell me. Incidentally, the Comet model is DV-HR300F, while elsewhere it's found as DV-HR300H. Is there a difference?

2. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It really is a good price, making it nearly £100 less than its nearest competitors (Pioneer/Toshiba/LG).

I could not find any information on DV-HR300F and I suspect it realy is DV-HR300H and that Comet made a mistake or delibrately listed it slightly differently. But it is no suprise if it was an older model, but there was no older model as such. From the description, it is exactly the same as DV-HR300H. But that is the hadware side of it. If it really is a different model, the software (function, especially the editing side) may be different but I really doubt it.

I had a look at the DV-HR300H manual, the only downside compared to others is that it has a 2x DVD writer, while almost all others have 4x. But you cannot highspeed dub in most situations anyway (there are plenty of restrictions/conditions for high speed dubbing in all models) so this is not really too much of disadvantage.

It does not seem there are many who have bought this so I cannot find any user review. But I have found one review on a US model:
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=604&page_number=1&preview=

At this price I am certainly considering it.

3. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it mean that DV-HR300F is a model made for France?

5. celeronmanuk

celeronmanuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a fair amount of interest in this deal, it is a very good price!

I saw it here:
    http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=223&Thread=335207&Type=1

and bought 2 yesterday.

Apparently comet are selling the 300H not 300F as stated.

I had a long discussion with someone from Sharp about this unit. Mainly as to whether it had RGB pass-through. Apparently is does, though it records from the composite signal. I was told that DVD recorders aren't supposed to record from RGB as that signal does not carry macrovision protection, and they aren't allowed to record it as the unit would not comply with DVD Forum rules.

I should get mine tuesday next week, so will let you know!!

6. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Does that mean the others such as Pioneer don't record from the RGB signal ?

7. celeronmanuk

celeronmanuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've read here and elsewhere, units from Philips, Panasonic etc... do seem to be able to record from the RGB signal. So I'm not sure if this is true :confused: If they can, surely they can record all the movies from Sky and other macrovision protected sources?? I can't see Sky or the movie companies being too pleased if that were possible :rolleyes:

I am very interested to know more about this!

The guy at Sharp owned one of these and was very enthusiastic about the machines capabilities. I'll find out myself soon!!

8. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

The Sharp models are essentially the same as the Pioneer models, they are made in the same factories using the same system components.

Regards

Philip

9. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Interested to read all the comments so far.

I've found a couple of UK reviews - What Video and Widescreen TV (May 2004) and Essential Hi-Fi & Home Cinema (?July or Aug 2004) - sorry, just printed these out and didn't note URLs. Both these suggest it's not quite as user-friendly as the Pioneers, but rate it 4/5 across the board.

In the US forums people seem to be having problems with it, but maybe only people with problems write to forums. There were two interesting comments, though: one said that Sharp had discontinued this model, and another that they were pulling out of DVDRs altogether.

So are Comet trying to shift obsolete stock? Might support be difficult to obtain? Sharp website has manuals to download, but hardly any other information on it, which rather puts me off... I'm still thinking the Pioneer 420 might be a better option, even at £100 more.

Or (ever-hopeful) does this mark the start of a price war and all DVDRs are going to drop in price even more than they have already?

10. celeronmanuk

celeronmanuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer 420 doesn't have DV input, you would need to go for the 520 at £150 more to compare like for like.

I have been told by Sharp that they will be bringing out a new model with a 120GB disk. Maybe Comet have these on order and are clearing out the old ones.

No one else is selling these anywhere near as cheap as comet, so I don't see a price war happening.

11. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed Sharp about the F model sold by Comet.
    This is the reply:

"The actual product is a DVHR300H and not F. We are positive that this is a mistake on the retailers behalf."

12. akpak

akpak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not a problem for me personally as I don't have a camcorder, and am not planning to get one.

Maybe not on this model, but I see a couple of places selling the JVC DRMH-20 for not much more than £300. In view of comments I've read here I'm not planning on going for this, but does it suggest that prices are still falling?

13. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Prices are falling all the time all right. New models are coming out fast with
    more features seeling for less than previous models.

But the Comet price for this model is a big jump (or fall) as almost all others
    are still advertising for 500+.

I am sure shops have this in stock would not be happy.

14. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like a dvd recorder that enables me to record sport fixtures from sky and then create dvds full of goals via editing. Would the Sharp HR300F enable me to do that?

Cheers for any info. :smashin:

15. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any recorders with hard disk would allow you to that, but may be in a very different way depending on the models. Some are easy, some are, as quoted from reviews, not very user friendly.

What you want is a model that lets you divide/combine tiltles, delete parts of a title at will.
    Some models do not allow you to divide a title, some models allow you to divide a title, but will not allow you to combine them back!! Some models would not allow you to delete parts of the title. There are ways to overcome all these but it may be complicated for some, thus the user-unfriendly quote.
    Thes limitations are confined to models up to now. I am sure most of the new models should have overcome the limitations and have all these editing features.

I would suggest prospective purchasers to read the manuals before deciding on which model to buy. Most of the manuals are available to download somewhere.

16. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi-tech-geek

thanks for the very helpful info!

I will continue my search for a dvd recorder.

17. celeronmanuk

celeronmanuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the Sharp 300H today. Nice looking unit, very slim.

Made a few test recordings from Sky and Wow!! If you're thinking of getting this and was put off by lack of RGB in, don't be. I honestly can not tell the difference.

In the highest quality mode, the recording looks as good as the original. In SP mode, very slight blockiness on motion scenes, but still excellent.

This unit exceeded my expectations and then some more. :thumbsup:

18. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are not on the comet website anymore!!!!!!!!!

:(

19. hi-tech-geek

hi-tech-geek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They would not have hundreds in stock.
    I did not think it would last long, not at that price.