• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sharp Blu-Ray Home Cinema Setup help required.

N

nindi

Hi,

I'm a complete noob at this, and can't seem to find the answers i'm looking for in the search.

I've got a BDHP20H Blu-Ray player and Sharp 46inch Full HDTV on the way, see link for deal. http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~PKG-SHA-LC46X20E-2.htm

And I would like to get a 5.1 surround sound system. But I'm confused as to whether I need an amp, or just the 5.1 sub + speakers as the blu ray player seems to have 5.1 output?
I'm looking to spend a max of around £200 on the set up. Can anyone provide me with suggestions?

Also, is it possible to use the type of 5.1 speaker systems used on computers? I have a logitech 5.1 set up, can this be used with the blu-ray?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Milko13

Standard Member
Yes mate, you need an amp & speakers.

Having got the same system as you, I can tell you that the Blu-ray player is only a DVD player & not an integrated amp / speaker package.

It may be worth looking at a 7.1 system given that the Blu-ray will output lossless audio (obviously this will be more expensive though).

As for PC speaker systems, IMO they're not great especially compared against a dedicated Home Cinema speaker package.

Hope this helps.

N

nindi

Thanks for the info.

What does the amp do? i.e. is it always necessary?
Anyone know of a system i can put together for under 200?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom