1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Aquos picture problems

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by drphibes, Oct 5, 2004.

1. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

I have owned a Sharp Aquos GA3E for the past 3 months and have been quite please with its performance.
    However I have started to notice what seems to be a major problem.
    The display seems to have a major problem coping with the wide range of colours that a lvc/tv has to show.

For example , I am just watching the Aqous as I type this and there is a picture of a bathroom , the tiles in the shower have a major green tint to them.
    I have messed around with the colour settings in a attempt to remedy this but there does not seem a way to get a satisfactory ending.

I did infact speak to Sharp last week and informed them of my problem , but they said that this behaviour was the norm for a lcd screen and you had to accept that a crt was a better allrounder that a lcd.

This maybe so , but I thinkt hat for £2000 the display should be able to show a white bathroom tile correctly and not have a major green tint to it.

Any suggestions on how this might be fixed would be really appreciated.

Drphibes

2. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    thats bollix mate white should look white its the darks that dont meet crt levels

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Provided that you can be sure that the original picture content was indeed white, and not green, then this surely isn't right. But a white (and perhaps various levels of grey)test signal would be the only sure way to tell. Bear in mind that the colours represented in photography (of any type) can be affected by the lighting conditions. For example, flourescent light is green. When we look at something lit by a fluorescent, our brains adapt to the colour cast (by doing something much like increasing your own red "gain") and we see white. But a camera, typically, does not. It sees the green.

Incandescent light is red. If you are sitting in a room lit by incandescent light, your brain adapts to this and (in effect) increases your green "gain" to compensate.

If you are looking at a pure white TV image, in a room lit by incandescent, your brain may well have increased your own green gain which may result in you perceiving green where none exists.

One more thing. If you are using an RGB connection to a DVD or Set Top box for this picture - are you sure the R component is connected properly?

4. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Guys

Firstly thanks for the replies.

After writing my post last night , I got the Avia and DVE dvds out again and set about trying to rid myself of this green tint problem.

To cut as long story short I decided to set the tint control all the way to the red.
    This off course made faces very very red so I then set about reducing the other colour settings to try and balance this out.
    I think that I have ended up getting a better picture , but this was done at 2.30 in the morning so once I had finished I was off to bed!!.

Hopefully I will get chance to watch a dvd and some regular tv tonight and I will report back with my findings.

One sad point to report however is finding another 2 dead/stuck pixels on the display :( .
    The Aquos is only three months old and I did notice a blue pixel after approx 1 month but I decided that I could live with one.
    Now it has one more blue pixel and one red pixel.

I have emailed the store where it came from to ask for advice as it is worrying me that the pixels seem to be giving up at quite a alarming rate.

Cheers

Drphibes

5. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

Well sadly my attempts at correcting this green tint have failed i guess.
    After several hours fiddling with all the colour options that the Aquos offers , I did kind of get a picture that was allmost free from this green tint that can be present when certain colours are displayed on the screen.

The big side effect of all this was a flat , boring and totally uninspiring picture.
    Obviously this is just not acceptable at all so I have just sent a email of to Sharp to see what they have to say about the situation.

I got my digital camera out and took a few pics so I could show you forumites what the green problem looks like , I have attahced this pic (I hope ;) ) to demonstrate the problem.

The picture is taken from the region 2 version of the butterfly effect.
    The person pictured is standing infront of a blackboard , but in this case it is a greenboard :( .
    I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 540d dvd player that is using very high quality component leads.
    The same green effect is present when I have used my Panasonic e50 using a rgb scart.

The Aquos picture setting is on Standard factory default settings , the display exhibits the problem on all the factory default picture options e.g dynamic,game etc.

Thanks

Drphibes

Attached Files:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    is this using internal tuner try an external FV box;.....

7. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

The green tint problem is present on all the components I have at my disposal.

1 Panasonic e50 (RGB)
    2 Nokia on digital box (RGB)
    3 Cambridge Audio Azur 54od (Component)
    4 JVC Svhs vcr (Svhs)
    5 Internal tuner

It seems practically impossible to find a happy balance at all with the display , many colours will look great with slight tweaks of the factory default settings.
    However as you can see from the attachment , the lcd is nowhere near to showing the correct colour of certain colour shades.

Drphibes

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    hmm never seen that before on sharp all i can say is keep badgering them..... Technical term i think is a green rasta see if you can get them to send out an engineer, unikely

9. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

Thought I would update you all with the latest on my Sharp lcd.

I have been in direct contact with Sharp and explained the problems with the green tint and also the worrying situation with the stuck/dead pixels.

Spoke to a guy who said that he had passed on the info to the engineers , but he did say that the pixel issue was quite amazing and no one in his department could believe that the screen had any dead pixels nevermind 3.

I emailed them the same pic in this thread and Sharp's next step is to actually go out and buy the actual dvd (Butterfly effect) and see if the lcds they have will replicate the same problem.

Hopefully I will hear from them early next week.

Drphibes

10. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a GA3E set for 2 weeks now. I only checked quickly using the same DVD and *think* I see the tint you mention. Thing is, it only seems to be this DVD.
    FWIW I am driving the set from HTPC via DVI connection. I'll check this better over the weekend and post again.

John

11. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi John

My GA3E can display a lot of colours without any problems at all , it does however seem to have issue when it comes to certain colours that are mixed onto a screen.
    For the benefit of my discussions with Sharp , I have reset my GA3E to the factory default settings and the green tint can be seen on the skin tone of people and it also seems to be a problem when the display has to start displaying the corner of rooms where the shadow starts to creap in (sorry for the naff explanation).

I have tried the Butterfly effect dvd on my Medion 18 inch tft and you do have to ease off slightly on the green setting in the rgb option , but once this is done it looks a lot better than the same tweaking on the Sharp.
    This should not be the case as the Medion cost £250 and the Sharp £2000.

Another scene in the film where my lcd is struggling is Chapter 12 1.25 mins ( I have green tint on the walls of the alleyway that
    the character is walking down).
    As before the scene on the Medion tft can be tweak to look fine but the Sharp is just not quite there.

I will be happy to hear your opinions when you get a minute free.

Drphibes

12. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DrPhibes,
    Had a a chance to view a few films looking for the problems you mentioned.
    In the butterfly effect I see the greenboard(and it does appear dark green. not black), but no tinges to the actors faces.
    In the alley scene the walls of the building show some slight tendancy to green/grey tint, but nothing I would have noticed if I hadnt read your posts. I would put this down to the scene lighting. This film in general is not very good image quality wise.
    I see no trace of these things in any other films I look at(tried about 10 today looking for this effect). Of course, having already gotten rid of the Panny CRT I have nothing to compare to now...

I tend to use settings to give a slightly darker picture than the ones you mentioned, all mine are centred +-3 at most

John

13. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

Glad to hear that you do not seem to suffering from the green tint on skin tones etc.
    I would agree when you say the Butterfly effect is not a stunning film picture wise.

Out of interest , do you have any stuck/dead pixels on your GA3E ? and where did you purchase it from?.

I am hoping that Sharp will give me some positive comments early next week regarding my colour and pixel problems.

Drphibes

14. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thankfully no dead/stuck pixels at all.
    Bought it from John Lewis in Oxford St and so far very pleased with the set. The only 'problem' seems to be when the set is on it causes slight interferance with IR control of some other kit.
    let us know how you get on with your issue, if I can help let me know.

John

15. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I checked out this scene last night on my PC with CRT monitor. The board did indeed appear green and not black... However, it didn't look as green as it does on the sample picture drphibes provided. Also, the shirt of the guy in the foreground looks maroon, blue and white on my CRT, but the white looks a bit 'greeny' on the sample.

Anyway, hope that helps... :)

16. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

Just tried the Butterfly effect on a friends Aiwa crt tv and the blackboard does show up with the green colour , but not as bad as my Aquos.

Mad Jack is correct when he says that my Aquos's whites are slightly tinted with green , however I cannot think why this is due to the fact that when i use the Avia or DVE calibration dvd , the whites a perfectly ok?.
    It seems that the green tint will only effect whites and skin tones when there are other colours on screen.
    Of course I have no idea why this might be occuring.

sofa-spud , if you get a spare minute or two I would appreciate it if you could pm me or write here the settings that your Aquos is using.

I am hoping to speak to Sharp on Monday to see what they intend to do.

Thanks

Drphibes

17. dubmaster

dubmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sofa-spud, i must order the set tomorrow, i will also drive it mostly with HTPC.

Could you tell us the timings and which graphics board you're using ?
    I lost any hope on 50Hz native resolution, but i'd like to be sure that at 60Hz and in dot by dot mode 1360 x 768 is visible with a little underscan in 1:1 mapping.

thanks a lot
    dubmaster

18. mr-monday

mr-monday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I went to school in America and a lot of blackboards are dark green. In fact they don't even call them blackboards, they call them chalk boards.

I'm not saying this solves your problem, but it's worth bearing in mind that that blackboard may not be totally black.

19. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DrPhibes,
    I'll look at them when I get in from work.

dubmaster,
    I use 1368*758, this was simply set using powerstrip, it is now a choosable option in the std screen settings. I have not played(yet, if ever) with any timings, I just left them at whatever was in the current(prev) resolution. The card is a Sapphire(radeon)9600.

John
    forgot to mention I also set 1364 & 1360 resolutions and they both worked as well

20. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DrPhibes,
    Currently I have everything down the middle apart from the following settings
    (on standard setting):
    Contrast +15(5 below centre)
    brightness +3
    using OPC at present (seeing if I like it or not).

(on user setting):
    backlight +4
    contrast +24
    brightness +1

I use the standard setting for everything other than PC work in bright sunlight...

As I connect via DVI I only get the choice of 'standard' or 'user[PC]' settings and so can't view the game etc modes. I have yet to try messing with the display settings on the HTPC.

John

21. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

Thought I would just update this thread.

I had a Sharp engineer look at my Aquos screen today and it has been agreed that it is faulty due to a high number of stuck pixels.

Originally Sharp wanted to take my Aquos away to be repaired , but I did not think that this was acceptable really due to the screen only being 3 months old.
    They did agree to replace the screen with a new one without any hassle so upto now I am happy with the way Sharp are handling this.

I will let you know how I get one when the new one arrives , touch wood the pixels will be a lot better on this one ;) .

Drphibes

22. Agent 86

Agent 86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AQUOS LC32GD1E (separate media box, integrated free view, bottom mounted speakers). The picture is beautiful. The sources are Sky+ on RGB, DVD on RGB. Currently favoured menu settings are Backlight +2, Contrast +25, Brightness +1, everything else zero.

Regards,
    Tim

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Good news Drphibes let us know.....

24. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

I recieved my replacement GA3E today ,but on close inspection tonight this screen also has 2 bright stuck pixels and 1 stuck pixel that is not as bad.
    One of the bright pixels is slap bang in the middle of the screen so I am going to have to speak to Sharp again in the morning to see if they will give me another replacement.

I can see no reason why there would be any problems due to the fact that the engineer stated that Sharp do not allow any dead/stuck pixels in the centre of the screen.

I will report back with anymore news.

Drphibes

25. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    drphibes,

Any news regarding the greenish tint. Did this come up the same on the replacement screen or was it better?

26. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33

I personally think there is still a greenish tint to this set aswell , but it does not seem as much of a issue as the previous one.
    The vast majority of the time the Aquos gives a very good picture indeed , however the pixel problem does seem quite worrying.

I think when I speak to Sharp in the morning , I will suggest that maybe they could test a screen before actually driving 100+ miles on what is a bit of a wasted journey.

Drphibes

27. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    On my Loewe Xelos, one of the modes (picture adjustment=soft) has an greenish tint similar to one that I witnessed when I demo'd a GD1E. I personally use 'picture adjustment=normal' and there is no green tint. Maybe the Sharps have a similar adjustment.

-Ian

28. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that this is an issue for many prospective Sharp buyers, as one of their key selling points (and certainly one that appealed to me) was that they have technology to mitigate the LCD bugbear of dead pixels: namely that if one fails it won't fail in a bright 'on' state.

This from an excellent article from Computer Weekly last year:
    "Sharp also manufactures its own LCD panel components and, according to Satterthwaite, its products manage to avoid stuck bright pixels, thanks to an in-house manufacturing technique called Advanced SuperView (ASV). “In ASV, if a pixel does die during manufacturing, it automatically defaults to black, which is still not perfect, but it’s much better than having a bright green or red dot,” he explains."
    http://www.computerweekly.com/Article119358.htm

And this from the Sharp website (although less than clear on the issue):
    http://www.sharp.co.uk/resources/faqs/LCD ASV Pixel.pdf

Seems as if this wasn't the case for you if you are getting stuck bright pixels.

29. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hmm , seems that the Sharp "ASV" technique is not working that well with my original screen and now on the replacement.
    As pointed out in this thread the original screen had approx 7/8 stuck dim pixels and 1 bright stuck pixel.
    The screen delivered yesterday is displaying 2 bright stuck pixels and 1 dimmer pixel.

Spoke to Sharp this morning about the latest problem and am awaiting a call from them.

Drphibes

30. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it seems that Sharp only claim that with ASV, if a pixel fails then it *MAINLY* fails in an off state. :(

Phil