1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Aquos LC37HV4E LCD - should it be so pixellated?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by miniboot, May 11, 2004.

1. miniboot

miniboot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just threw together the LC37HV4E (ordered from John Lewis) last night.

The NTL Digital and DVD Player connected by SCART into our 'one for all' signal transmitter, then the one for all transmitter outputs those signals to the the TV tuner box (again, SCART connection).

The reviews I've read about this TV boast about the amazing picture quality, but to me it looks like watching a VCD (or even a DIVX) film, the amount of pixellation is very noticeable. Does this sound like a problem that can be fixed? a problem with the way I am running the connections etc...? I guess the answer to my questions is to go to a shop and have a look at one on demo, but realistically I can't do that until next weekend :-(

as yet I haven't been able to optimise the TV settings as there doesn't seem to be an English section in the manual!?

2. zapata

zapata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I did actually look at this model in a shop and thought outlines looked very pixelly. The shop assistant said to me large screens go for plasma and smaller screens go for LCD but I'm no expert.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had one for about 2 days and could never get a decent image - it allways looked far to processed for me and skin tones never looked natural.

It's a real shame as it looks stunning - without the attached speakers - and is as quiet as a mouse unlike some plasmas. Also it would not suffer from screen burn which is good for gamming excet that it does not have a fast enough response time to cope anyway.

Basically, my advice would be to swap if out for a Panny plasma - either the integrated one if you require analogue TV or the PW6 if you have freeview or Sky.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

Cheers, Lee

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I find all LCDs to look a little pixellated - but it may be that your video sender is only letting you send a composite video signal to the LCD panel and that you haven't yet correctly set up the screen for your input. I would advise trying to run a direct good quality scart from the NTL box to the LCD (from NTL TV scart) since this will definitely give you an RGB video connection.

Secondly NTL quality!! If you have a lot of people in your area using the same NTL "pipe" then the quality in each house will be lower than if less people were using it. I think this is what you mean by it looking like a DiVX i.e. it is sufferring compression artefacts. Run your DVD player direct into the LCD (don't forget to set your DVD player to RGB output) and see if you are still seeing the same thing - if not then NTL quality is to blame.

Finally, don't expect a very watchable picture at all from the inbuilt tuner - even the best plasma in the world can't do anything with an RF signal!

Or take it back and buy a Fuji VHA30 or Panny plasma!!!

5. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

This is because the LCD resolution is higher than the PAL resolution and the picture has to be shared over the extra lines of pixels available on the screen.

ie. Line one of TV detail will use one line of pixels, line two of TV detail will share two lines of pixels, line three will use one line of pixels, line four will share two lines of pixels...etc...etc...
    This is called up-scaling (like wise, los-res plasmas of 480 lines down-scale pictures to fit onto the lower amount of pixels available).
    The processing to do this sometimes makes the picture a look bit blocky.

Large screen LCDs don't look great when viewed close up (escpecially with low resolution PAL), but much better at normal viewing distances.

ROLL ON HIGH-DEF TV!

ps. Out of interest, which John Lewis did you buy the screen from?

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    so it has a rubish scaler then

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    component video makes quite a big difference to the sharp so i suggest a better DVD player with good interlaced feed (sharp doesn't take Prog scan IIRC soo dont worry about that, a HK DVD2550 would do the trick or a sony730 etc

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    You can't expect a VCD to look any good on any platform. VCDs are low-resolution, and have an early, basic compression algorithm. This DOES unavoidably cause pixellation, regardless of the type of screen used for display.

It may be that your new TV is making such a good job of displaying the image, that it's just showing up shortcomings in the source.

9. miniboot

miniboot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, I was saying that the image I get on the aquos using a DVD player or NTL box is similar to the image i get when watching a vcd on my computer. i perish the thought of watching a vcd on the aquos.

thanks for the replies, i might have to check out plasmas instead, hopefully john lewis won't make an issue out of an exchange.

for the guy who asked, i got it at the Kingston branch of John Lewis.

10. mine

mine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats for your decision

Look for a good reference DVD - Look for a good progressive DVD player with component out or DVI - buy good component cables
    setup your expensive TFT properly

your mouth will stay open

*** I just finished a HDTV setup with this display (Euro 1080) and the owner (a friend of mine) said:
    "its like looking out of the window"

not adequate for this display : - cable tv - bad connections -

11. jongreen

jongreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you checked the film mode is turned off? i remember seeing some reviews which said one of the processing modes was switched on out of the box and had quite a dramatic impact on the picture