1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Aquos Lc26GA4E High Definition Ready??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Jamesv, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased the above tv and am having concerns about whether it is compatible with High Definition. The 1080i format is out, thats fair enough, but I was told by Sharp prior to purchasing that it would accomodate 720p. Now there is nothing in the manual to this effect, and looking at the specs, the DVI connection is for pc only and runs at 60 mhz. I have read somewhere that for High Def 50 mhz is required. I have a modded xbox, and have recently purchased the High Definition kit which uses Component. I should be able to get 720p when running in NTSC mode but the most my lcd will display is 480p in NTSC and 580i when running in PAL mode. Can High Def run through Component or does it have to be DVI or HDMI??
    Any help is appreciated in what is turning out to be a AVphile's minefield!!

2. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate. I am awaiting a call back from Sharp on this so I will post as soon as I know. Other than that the lcd is superb. Running pc thru dvi is awesome.Why spend £600 on a 20" lcd monitor when you can buy a 26" lcd tv/dvd viewer/monitor/games console viewer for £900!!!

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It won't do Hidef at 50Mhz or either 60Mhz. But then, that standard is a long way off...

It will however do hidef at 720p at a more than respectable 50 and 60Hz. However, if my experience with the 32GD1E is anything to go by, 1080i via DVI-D is hit an miss. Sharp have admitted that there is a problem with some sources. Not sure if the same applied to other models. Always best to try with the source that you intend to use. To be honest, you will probably find 720p preferable to 1080i anyhow.

You question about hidef is not easy to answer. Some sources will do hidef via component, however, it is unlikely that you will find offical hidef offerings for copy protected analogue sources both now and especially in the future. For example, then blu-ray/HD-DVD becomes common, you will only be able to benefit from hi-def via DVI-HDCP/HDMI. Anything copy protected will probably just produce SD over the analogue outputs. But im sure there will be some obscure exceptions to the rule just like there is now with scaling DVD players.

-Ian

5. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Ian. I have now managed to get my xbox playing games (which run at 720p) and upscaling films to 720p (thru XMBC). Its a long and winding road to knowledge but Im getting there slowly! Thanks again for the info :)