Sharp Aquos LC22AD1E - any good?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sparkybun, Jun 22, 2004.

1. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi all,

As the title says, anyone seen one? Is the Freeview picture any good?
    Is the general picture any good. Any other recommendations around the 22"/23" size?

Thanks

Mel

2. Phybron

Phybron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes any information on this screen would be good. Reviews still seem to be a bit thin on the ground. I was going to go for the LC22SV2E, based on reviews at homecinemachoice.com, but then I saw it got 2/5 in What Hi-Fi and that put me off. I guess it's just been outdated now.
    So on the the LC22AD1E...

3. ben_gb

ben_gb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

I've had one of these for a few weeks. My comments:

- the picture is pretty good when you look 'head on'

- I noticed it looks a bit washed-out when looking from an angle (though a fairly wide one)

- the EPG guide is crap. It doesnt seem to remember the guide data, so when you press the Guide button, it takes ages for the page to display as it waits for the information to come from the broadcast stream. Similarly there is also a delay when you press the Info button to find out about the current programme.

- also you cant seem to be able to 'browse' through EPG while continuing to view a channel. To see whats on other channels you have to bring up the fullscreen guide (and therefore stop viewing the current channel).

- no sign of any support for 7-day EPG so far

- it doesn't support top up TV (at least its not listed on the TUTV site as supported - maybe because it's still a fairly new model. TUTV doesnt mention support for any Sharp models)

- I haven't had an LCD TV before, but the reason I chose it is because it looked to have one of the better images compared to similar sized screens in the shop. I bought it in John Lewis where they had loads of other LCD TVs nearby so it was easy to compare. You do get a bit of shimmering when there is a picture of something moving, but this seems common to all LCDs I've seen.

- The digital images are very clear in comparison to the analogue versions.

- Sound is OK...again better than other screens of this size, with a reasonable bass, but obviously nowhere near as good as a separate sound amp and proper speakers.

- Several of the 30-inch LCDs do have much better pictures, but are also significantly more expensive.

- In summary... a nice picture, but the TV is let down by the poor EPG implementation.

Hope this is of some use. Do you have any specific questions?

Regards,
    Ben

4. Phybron

Phybron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - really useful. Doesn't sound quite as great as I (or you for that matter) thought it might.
    Have you tried it with any games systems? I'll be getting an LCD as a second TV primarily for playing games on, so I don't really want anything bigger than this, but it needs to be good with PS2's and the like.

5. ben_gb

ben_gb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I don't have a PS2 at the moment so I cant try any games.

I'm using the Sharp as a bedroom TV, and it's great for that.

To be fair, although the EPG stuff could be better, the image is good (compared to it's peers) which I think is the most important thing for a TV! Also it's nice not to need a separate freeview box to be fitted somewhere.

Ben