1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Aquos GA series and the new P50 series

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neoglow, Oct 26, 2005.

1. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It was only a short while ago that I bought a Sharp Aquos LC26GA3E LCD panel which wasnt easy to get hold of because of their popularity and places that did have them were selling for good prices. If memory serves me well the GA5 series didnt have DVI / HD connections and so the GA3 was the obvious choice for DVI / HD. I see the new models are now available and what really takes the biscuit is the 32" P50 series is the same price as my 26" GA3 when I bought it and they have a HDMI socket. :mad:

Anyway, I just wanted to confirm two things, is the GA3 series compliant with HDCP via the DVI socket because the Sharp website no longer details this series? :( And according to Sharps website the GA6 series (presumably these came out after the GA3's and before the P50's) are HD Ready?!? The Specs dont mention a DVI or HDMI socket???

M.

2. fuz

fuz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a GA6 and it definitely has a HDMI socket, i've been using this to connect to the PC and using VGA inputs too. I'm not too sure about the HD compliance with the DVI in the GA3 series though

3. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    The GA3 series is HD ready via component and HDCP compliant DVI.

Dont get confused with the P50 series. They are not a native HD ready panel and is designed for use with standard definition feeds.

Your GA3 is still ready for any HD service running at 1080i/720p that Sky delivers to us. ;)

4. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Surely they must be HD Ready with a DVI / HDMI socket though?, but I understand what your saying how Sharp have tried to 'up' the quality with normal definition picture on the P50 series. I've wondered, when HD stuff starts to surface, ie, Sky HD, how would you connect the audio on a HDCP DVI socketed (if thats a word? :rolleyes: ) panel. Cos am I right in thinking that HDMI is the new Scart but far superior. Would sound remain analogue with the connections to the back of your panel or would you have to channel the sound through an Amp to get true HD / HDMI quality sound?

M.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Having a digital connection is only a part of the "HD Ready" requirement. The TV also needs to display a minimum of 720 lines. As the P50 only has a resolution of 960x540 clearly this isn't possible, however it will display a HD signal at it's own lower resolution which makes it HD compatable but not HD Ready.

6. jobseeker

jobseeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    As far as sound goes on the P50, there is a 3.5mm stereo jack socket which can partner the HDMI socket. You can choose to have sound via HDMI or via the separate socket. I guess some other sets do the same.