1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Aquos fan noise :(

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jimbob19, Dec 20, 2004.

1. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Having now wall mounted my TV (LC37GA3E) and actually started watching it properly for the first time , I now notice the fans are on permanently :rolleyes:
    The noise is audible in my living room when watching the TV at low-normal volume . Can any other Aquos owners (with fans) let me know if their fans are on all the time , also the speed does not change they just permanently seem on fast :rolleyes:

I wonder if maybe sharp have a f/w upgrade that slows these down or can turn them off

This does not bode well for the WAF factor , as including the bracket etc , and amp speaker upgrade now too and HTPC , I have now spent around 4K !!!!

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Taking a complete guess, is the tv near a heat source ? There might be a temp sensor in the tv that's linked to the fans.

Richie.

3. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi Richie , no its not mounted near a heat source :(

4. Arcahngel

Arcahngel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you live in the tropics, the fans should be barely audible. I suspect that you have got a duff one (if the sensors are duff, a system like this will default to full speed for all fans).

I'd suggest that you take it back.

Alternatively, buy an Arcam DVD player - then all you will hear is the Arcam and not the telly!! :zonked:

Archey

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the 37GA4E, but it is on it's pedestal with its rubber feet. The fans are on all the time but unless I am stood by the set I cannot hear them. My set is 2 or 3 feet from the wall and I guess the sound dissipates.
    I would guess the sound is bouncing back off the hard surface or carried through the wall mount.

6. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    JimG - can you tell me are the fans on full speed all the time on yours ?

Thanks

7. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I will have to monitor it for you. I hear the fan start when I press the power button on the top on the unit and it is not running at high speed. I will put it on now and leave for half an hour and listen to check if it has speeded up.

8. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks Jim

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Fairly sure mine are on all the time.

However, I only actually know they were on when I turn the TV off. It sort out of tunes itself out.

Sky+ writing to disc is the bigger problem though my V1 box is far better than the 160 box I reviewed!

10. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well it has been on for 45 minutes and the fan is still running at the same speed as when turned on. There is now warm air being pushed out, but he noise level is still the same. Does yours run at a constant speed or does it increase after a while, I am not convinced that it is multi-speed - maybe need to ask Sharp?

11. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    No mine runs constatnt speed , may have to look at ways of baffling the fan noise :(

12. Winnie Pooh

Winnie Pooh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jimbob19,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the fan noise with your nice Sharp LC37GA3E LCD-TV may I hijack your thread a bit with my experience so far with this type of LCD-TV’s. ;)

I had one LC26GA4E for three days before I brought it back to the dealer which was yelling and screaming about my complain about the fan noise during low-noise volume playback respectively silent passages. :mad:

This small 26” LCD-TV has the same fans as the 32”, 37” and the 45” as far as I have seen. They seem to be all of the same type and they are blowing almost with the same speed. The only difference what I have identified was that the LCxxGD1EA- series have 2 fans in the display and 1 in the external receiver box and therefore it seems to be that the 2 internal display fans are blowing a little bit slower than the LCxxGAxE models but the fan in the external box seems to run much more faster than the ones in the display and is clearly louder of course. :confused:

All in all I was not unsatisfied with this LCD-TV but for fan-noise sensitive people these fans are an serious issue to be considered before purchasing. These fans are definitely no no-noise fans maybe they are low noise. I would like to go for an LC32GA4E now because I prefer the sound of the side mounted speakers over the horizontal ones but the fan noise is holding me back up to now because I have no workaround for it without violating the warranty. :lesson:

BTW aside from the fan noise I experienced some other strange issues with this 26” LCD-TV. Maybe someone has a similar experience:

1. TV-tuner switching down the channel sometimes it jumps two channels down with pressing the button only once - never happened during switching up through the channels - very hard to reproduce. Seems that it has nothing to do with way the button is pressed on the RC.
    2. One time the LCD-TV was not able to wake up from the standby mode. It was impossible to switch it on again. Only after pulling the plug and waiting a couple of minutes it was possible to switch it on again regularly.
    3. Now the most strange experience before I brought it back – but it happened and I was absolutely sober this time – it was early in the morning. The LCD-TV itself disturbed another IR remote control of a motorised bed frame!!! It was impossible to bring anything up an down. Only after covering the lower right part of the LCD-display with a magazine in up right position the disruption of the other IR RC went away??? Any ideas about that? :suicide:

Talked to the Sharp tech support hotline about these issues and they have been pretty much shocked about that and were willing to pick up the LCD-TV immediately by courier to identify/rectify these issues. :smashin:

As I have said I’m still at the opinion that all these Sharp LCD-TV offer a good value for the money and the picture quality is very good in comparison to others but I’m really concerned about the fan noise and these other issues. Any hints appreciated. :)

13. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oddly enough I only noticed the fan noise on my 32GA4E when I wall mounted it. When it was on the stand I never heard the fan.
    To be honest I don't really notice the noise- sure its there, but I either tune it out or listen to the TV at such hig volumes its unobtrusive.

14. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I could hear the fans in my LC26GA4 in the short time I've had it(it's going back for other reasons)....

Regarding the fans, I'd be tempted to open it up and swap out the fans for quieter ones, assuming they are PC-like fans with 3/4pin connectors.

15. jrenshaw

jrenshaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the LC26GA4E and I can hear the fans at low volumes, it is quite annoying. I think I can live with it though - just. I guess it is "normal".

16. roopsbrar

roopsbrar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a LC37HV4E, and recently put it on the wall (discarding the stand), and have not noticed any noise. Having read all the posts above, I turned everything off in the lounge, and stodd behind the screen, where you can here a slight mechanical high pitch noise (not the sound of air moving) which I presume is fan noise. The AV centre has more noticable noise - but only if you're near it and you have no sound from the TV...maybe you do have a duff one...or my fans don't work!!

17. Hyp3rion

Hyp3rion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 37GA4e wall mounted above a fire and i can honestly say that despite the fans being on the niose from them whilst im in normal viewing position is negligable (<---tried spelling that word 3 times and it still dont look right!)

18. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    From my LC32GA4E I think the noise is mostly produced by the air moving through the enclosure. I think they already have quiet fans - as quiet as the Zalman fan on my PC.

I don't notice the noise as soon as I'm involved in a film, but I do wish it didn't have the fans. An alternative they could have used would be large, external, finned heatsinks, but that would be more expensive.

James

19. melkior

melkior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the LC30 H4VE and also I can hear the fan running always at the same speed, from the moment I switch on untill I switch the panel off..It's an annoying noise like an old PC Fan's one. I'll call the aftersales department and if they can't do anything I'll open the panel and change it myself if it's like PC's ones.

20. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Do all LCD tv's have fans in them? Reason I was asking is because in the new year I was considering replacing my old (8years old!) panasonic 21" with a sharp 21" lcd (from richers if they have any left in by then!). However if they have fans in then thats a no-no from the start! I already have the pace sky box fan kicking in intermittently in my bedroom, and I can't really be doing with another lot in there as well. If there is then I may just go for a 24" panny (all I can fit in my small room as the equivalent sony is too big :( ).