1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Aquos dead pixel dilemma

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by joepool, Jan 14, 2005.

1. joepool

joepool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much deliberation, I recently purchased an LC-32GA4E - as far as I could see, it was the only 32" LCD TV currently on the market that met the criteria that I had set out as 'must-have':

1. Digital input with HDCP compatibility
    2. Less than £2k
    3. True 16:9 (1366 x 768 display)
    4. 1:1 Pixel mapping for PC display purposes (enabling a proper 1368 x768 res)
    5. Capable of displaying 720p @ 50Hz/60Hz
    6. Capable of displaying 1080i @ 50Hz/60Hz

I was very happy with it - or rather I was! A few days ago, I noticed that there are two pixels stuck on blue, one of which is almost in the centre of the screen (the other is closer to the bottom of the screen, but still fairly central).

Whilst watching TV from a normal distance of about 3m, it's unnoticeable, but when a plain background is displayed whilst computing, it's fairly prominent - particularly if you know that it is there...

The retailer has kindly offered to take it back, and replace (if Sharp can supply a replacement given that this model has been discontinued) or they will refund.

Here's my dilemma:

Do I wave goodbye to the only panel currently on the market that does everything I want it to do, in the vain hope that the retailer will be able to get another one from Sharp? Or do I hang on to it and put up with the two dead pixels?

Does the Sharp warranty cover dead pixels if any more go in future? If I hang on to the set, and more pixels go, can I then get the lot sorted by Sharp under the warranty?

In other threads it seems that people have returned sets with 1 dead pixel and received a replacment that had even more dead pixels!

The worst thing is, I've just sold my 28" CRT and I'll be watching a 14" portable until the situation is resolved :thumbsdow

2. aspender

aspender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it comes down to how much you use it for close up PC stuff. I only use mine (with 4 permanantly black pixels) as a TV so viewing from a distance is fine.

Given that yours are stuck on blue I think Sharp themselves would replace it. Might be worth contacting them directly. They must be holding some stock back for such situations.

3. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    What warranty have you got with the tv? If you've got a 3 or 5 yr warranty i'd hang on to it, as if any more do go it would be covered i think. If it's only a 1yr warranty i'd get it replaced if possible, but then again you could end up with a refund...............and your back to square one :confused:

4. joepool

joepool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mostly use for TV purposes - I've got a Shuttle hooked up to it, and the PC work is also mostly done from a fair distance.

I've also got the three year warranty...

Thanks for the advice - I've now decided to hang on to it. For two stuck pixels, it isn't worth losing the set for god knows how long (possibly forever), particularly as I'm otherwise very satisfied with it.

Found out during the call with the retailer that the GA5 was intended to be sold alongside the GA3 and GA4 up until April as a cheaper alternative, but due to the popularity of the 3 and 4, the entire production run had all been sold by the time the GA5 arrived on the market - hence the current confusing situation. Apparently my GA4 was one of the last ones to arrive in the country...

5. peterupnorth

peterupnorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would return it, get a refund and then phone Crampton and Moore. They are selling Sharp LC32GD1E for £1800! (check out their website). I got one yesterday.

6. peterupnorth

peterupnorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mean £1899 not £1800....ooops!

7. Black Custard

Black Custard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me if the GD1E can tune into Analogue as well as digital off air transmission?

8. joepool

joepool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a consideration - but it's still another few hundred quid for that model, and considering the only difference is the colour of the unit ("Titanium") and the inclusion of a freeview tuner (that could be bought separately for around £50), I can't justify the extra:

I've recently decided that integrated digital tuners are not the way to go - eventually the manufacturer stops supporting the TV, the firmware will become obsolete, and any new features to come to the terrestrial platform will be unavailable.

A separately purchased freeview tuner can do the same (if not better job), and, given the multitude of inputs on this unit, connectivity is not an issue.

Of course this is all IMHO...

9. peterupnorth

peterupnorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the GD1E has normal analogue TV + digital TV + 4 extra inputs + PC card. I got mine on Saturday and I am really pleased with it (apart from the virtually infinate number of set up options - why can't it just turn on and be right like my good old B/W valve telly???).

10. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Peter! I was nearly going to buy a 9986 and live with the poor pc compatability, but, now you've pointed out the GD1E has analogue input I might just go for this instead...