1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Aquos 37LC-37GD1EA

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by viewer, Oct 2, 2004.

1. viewer

viewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a look at this today - looKs great. Anyone got one or have any views on it. Looks pricey at £3,700 and according to the salesman it is not available on the internet !!!!!!!

Had my mind made up on the philips pf379986 but now not so sure.

God this is getting difficult

2. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 30" Sharp, and I am constantly blown away by the picture quality.

Everything about it is impressive, especially running my PC through it. Its a PIN sharp display with loads of options, picture tweaks etc.

I had a Philips before this and had to return it due to terrible light bleed problems, I would go for the Sharp any day, especially the 37" if you can afford it.

3. viewer

viewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Know the picture quality is excellent from DVD but what about other sources - namely SKY. Have heard that the picture quality is not as good as Philips - some noice from lower qaulity input. Anyone got any comments about picture quality from SKY ??

4. RichardP

RichardP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a LC-37HV4E (which I think uses the same screen, but it may be 1 generation earlier) for about 9 months. Generally I'm very pleased with it, there are a couple of things I would like to be better :

Contrast, always a problem with LCD, the black is not as black as I would like.

Overscan, there is a very large amount of overscan so quite a bit of the picture is cut off all round. Its enough to cut of the very bottom of some sub titles and makes the various logos on channels appear right at the top of the screen. Why they have done this I don't know, I tried using the PC input from a video scalar for a while which fixes the problem, but the picture quality of the unit I had was not good enough - looked like it did not have enough colours. As far as I know there is no adjustment.

I'm currently looking at smaller version (26 or 32) for the bedroom, so I guess that must mean I'm happy with it over all!

5. RichardP

RichardP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At normal viewing distance its fine, but if you get near it is easier to see compression artifacts than on a CRT, not sure why it should be so but all the LCD's I've seen exhibit this to some extent. I have not compared the Sharp with a Plasma directly, but I could not see much difference between various LCD's.

6. Toine

Toine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is this? :

7. RichardP

RichardP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought of two other niggles with the Sharp:

1) The fan in the AV unit is not silent, it can be heard if there is a quite section in what you are watching. :thumbsdow

2) The set floods the room with IR, so much so that it interferes with my Sky+ remote operation. The Sky+ box is in a unit under the TV and is well out of a direct line with the TV, the IR must be reflected all round the room as it is not even parallel to the opposite wall. The only way I've found to fix this is to stick a double layer of brown parcel tape :eek: over the Sky+ IR receiver, this seems to filter out just enough of the stray IR but lets the commands through to control the box. :)

8. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the LC37GA3E last Monday and have found the exact same issue...

Sometimes you cant get a signal to register on the sky box (not sky plus) and Im guessing this is due to reflected interference though interestinly enough the TV itself can receive remote signals from the sky remote well enough (volume up and down/mute and TV off functions).
    A couple of layers of brown parcel tape? :eek:.

9. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the Sharp LC-37GA4E ( since Oct'2004) and it is great with SKY once you set it up. I have had no problem with my remote but that is SKY+.

10. Leander

Leander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've had the LC37AD1E for about 6 weeks now. Yes, if you get too close you can see digital artifacts but they disappear at normal viewing distances, say 3m+.

Every time I switch it on I am still almost surprised at how good the picture is but the really telling thing is that SWMBO, who normally couldn't care less about things like picture quality, also keeps commenting on how good it is.

Leander

11. paulduckworth

paulduckworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 32gd1e and have no IR problems at all.

Cool screen - excellent picture quality and has a major advantage over the phillips in that you can input hi def via dvi and component seperatley so no need for a switching unit when you get Sky HD and a Blue Ray DVD.

12. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im betting having white or light coloured walls also increases IR issues... solved with a couple of square pieces of post it notes over the set top box IR receiver btw.

13. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i dont suppose anyones had the pleasure of seeing the LG 37 (model number escapes me right now but retails around £1850) in action???