1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Aquos 30" LCD TV - Black Quality

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by alanjhill, Jun 21, 2004.

1. alanjhill

alanjhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've had a Sharp LC30HV2E for quite some time and have been disappointed with the picture quality during dark scenes. There is a pretty large brighter area on the screen. This can be seen in the following pictures of my TV with the input switched off to demonstrate.

[​IMG]

Top picture was taken with additional lighting in the room, bottom picture with no additional lighting and no other light sources that could cause the bright areas. These bright patches can be seen quite clearly when watching movies such as Saving Private Ryan.

Is this really what I should expect from my TV? It has been to SharpServ and they say there is nothing wrong with it and it passes all tests.

Kind of at a loss as to what to do now. Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Al

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well, it seems to me that it fails on the most basic test: your satisfaction. I'm no expert on these things but if one part of the screen is brighter than the rest then surely something is amiss. Has it always been like this or is it a recent development? Have you seen the tv on display elsewhere and if so, does it do the same thing.

My only experience with LCD screens is with computer monitors, at home and at work. The ones I've seen and used are, to all intents and purposes, uniform in their illumination. I have seen some monitors where you get some light bleed from the bottom or top of the screen but certainly the ones in work don't. My home monitor does but a little but not to the extent of and shape that yours appears to have. I have started to look at LCD televisions as I'm thinking of getting one myself. Those I have seen have been uniform in their image, I don't remember seeing one and thinking that one part of the screen is brighter than the rest.

However, you may wish to try another connector and/or source to the screen to see if that makes any difference. It'll be interesting to see what the experts here have to say when they respond.

3. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This light bleed is very common, though I think for the price it should not be tolerated. My Lg 23" has slight bleed and so does my Thomson 27" - both are not that noticable - yours looks particularly bad. Don't let them get away with it or such poor standards will become acceptable and we'll all be told what that it's the norm!

4. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Philips 30" and it had the same problem. I returned it and got a refund.

I have spend a £1000 less on a 32" CRT and am very happy with it.

Welcome to the world of LCD !!!!!.

5. Dan M

Dan M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I looked at LCD's, was pretty sure i would get one. But on seeing a few different DVD's on both LCD & Plasma, i could really see the white smearing and no real black colours, just shades of gray. Ending up with a plasma :smashin:

6. zybbok

zybbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just returned a Philips 30PF9975 for the same problem although I would say that the light bleed on the set I had was much worse
    It is ridiculous if manufacturers think that consumers will accept this level of screen quality