1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Aquos 26GA4E High Def Ready?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Jamesv, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased the above tv and am having concerns about whether it is compatible with High Definition. The 1080i format is out, thats fair enough, but I was told by Sharp prior to purchasing that it would accomodate 720p. Now there is nothing in the manual to this effect, and looking at the specs, the DVI connection is for pc only and runs at 60 mhz. I have read somewhere that for High Def 50 mhz is required. I have a modded xbox, and have recently purchased the High Definition kit which uses Component. I should be able to get 720p when running in NTSC mode but the most my lcd will display is 480p in NTSC and 580i when running in PAL mode. Can High Def run through Component or does it have to be DVI or HDMI??
    Any help is appreciated in what is turning out to be a AVphile's minefield!!

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Xbox game probably isn't 720p, most aren't. Most are 480p at best and some not even that. Off the top of my head Soul Calibur 2, and Badicoot Kart are both 720p and do look absolutley sublime on my Hitachi 5200 plasma :D
    I can't speak on behalf of the tv you have but if it has a digital connection it will probably run both 1080i and 720p, component can transmit HD.

loadsofleads :thumbsup:

3. Jamesv

Jamesv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. You are completely right about the games I have been trying only being 480p! Will try a 720p soon. Incidentally I have now been informed that if you run XBMC there is an option to upscale films to 720p. I have tried this and it works!