1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp and HTPC thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tarz4n, Feb 20, 2005.

1. tarz4n

tarz4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

Im a bit curious about people using the Sharp LCD with a htpc - and how they get the best out of it.

What hardware do you use? Resolutions? Do you use the htpc for playing dvd's? Tell us everything, and lets learn from eachother :thumbsup: :D

2. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a nebula card for watching freeview outputed via DVI so the Sharp matches the resolution at a 1:1 pixel 1368x768.

The picture is amazing, crystal clear.

I have not even tried a DVD yet.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. mwpbakker

mwpbakker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just upgraded my HTPC (combined with a 32GA3E). My specs are:

Case: Antec Aria
    Mobo: MSI RS480M2 (mATX socket 939 with ATi Express 200 onboard video)
    Proc: Athlon 64 3000+ (Winchester core)
    HD: Maxtor 200Gb SATA
    Mem: 512

The case I can highly recommend. Small, nice design and above all, high quality. The mobo is just on the market (first socket 939 in mATX format), the onboard video (comparable with a Radeon 9600) is perfect. No fan required, resolution at 1360x768 with powerstrip. If you are not into the newest games (such as HL2) than the onboard video is more than sufficient. The mobo has the possibility for a PCI express videocard if you want more 3D oemph (unfortunately probably also with more fan noise). The PQ is perfect, even with the analog VGA connection I use. I really doubt that a videocard with a DVI connection will improve things noticable. Running HDTV movies (such as the wmv9 demo's from Microsoft) are stunning. Watching 'normal' cable TV isn't my thing anymore.

What about noise ? Well, Ik placed the HTPC in a cabinet in my living room. Therefore, ventilation is not good . Playing movies in DVD quality the HTPC is not audible from 8 feet away and the CPU/Case temperatures are in the 30 - 45 degrees C range. Running HDTV movies increase temps to the 55 - 65 degrees C range. With the cabinet door open the temps running HDTV movies are in the range of 35 - 50 degrees C range. When I leave the cabinet door open and running DVD quality movies the HTPC is hardly audible, running HDTV movies increases the volume a bit but still very quiet.

Audio is perfect, I just use the onboard spdif to my Yamaha RX540 receiver.

All in all I am very pleased with the setup (incl. the Sharp 32AG3E !) The PQ is perfect. Note that the Athlon 64 3000+ proc is the bare minimum for running HDTV movies (720P). In the future I plan to upgrade to a higher spec processor. The socket 939 platform should be able to provide this grow path.

Marcel

4. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Running my under clocked Athlon XP2800 with 1080i movies at 1:1 res on my 45" GD1E with no trouble at all.

Claritas case ( expensive but nice )
    Abit mobo ( can't remember which one )
    XP2800 clocked @ 1700Mhz
    512Mb Ram
    Zalman CU7000 HSF ( surprisingly noisey )
    SilenX 14db case fan
    Passively cooled Gainward FX5200
    Seagate 200GB HDD (mechanically Isolated from case )
    PVR250

Software:
    Ubuntu Linux
    MythTV
    VLC

Using the Denon for DVDs as the scaling is better than my HTPC

Mostly used for watching HD movies on altough I do record the occasional show as well.

Picture quality is fantastic as you'd expect from mostly HD sources. MythTV is truely an amazing piece of software and well worth trying out.

5. tarz4n

tarz4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the picture quality just as good as the newer ATI cards and is it supported under Windows Media Center?

6. mwpbakker

mwpbakker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PQ is just as good. Support for MCE2005 is no problem. For TV an additional TV-Tuner card will be required. Note that these are an issue if you require MCE2005 support. Only a few are supported.

Marcel

7. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ultim8Fury,

You are probably the 1st forum member to own LC-45GD1E. Congratulations.

I am wondering which video card are you using as it is unusual to find a DVD player that outputs a better PQ on an HD panel?

8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Branxx, I think you'll find he is the ONLY member to own the 45" Sharp !

:D

9. KAZER

KAZER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    richjthorpe, I only joined the forum a few weeks ago but I too have a 45" and v.nice it is to. :D

10. tarz4n

tarz4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds realy realy good.. so i've decided to buy this!

But! :confused: I can see there are 2 MSI motherboards: MSI RS480M2 and MSI RS480M2-IL
    What does the "-IL" do ? I've been searching all over, and i can't see any difference, but the price i different :confused:

Another thing.. you can disable the onbord gfx, and install a PCI-E gfx card later on, right?

11. mwpbakker

mwpbakker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the US site the -IL version does't seem to have the spdif connector.

A PCI-E gfx card later on should be possible (even indicated in the manual).

Good luck with installing etc. Let me know how it works out.

Marcel

12. tarz4n

tarz4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool man, i appreciate your help! Just ordered a new htpc :D

A thing i would like to ask you guys.. do you use your PC as a DVD player? I've read about some very very good results in upscaling dvd's to the Sharp's native res.

Any comments, and have you tried it? What software setup do you use for this?

13. tarz4n

tarz4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AARGH!

Ordered the card, and just found out there are NO DVI output :-( I believe that DVI is much better than a normal VGA Output?

14. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Aaaaaaaaargh ! They're breeding !!!!

:D

15. mwpbakker

mwpbakker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tarzn,

no worries there. As I indicated earlier, I use the onboard analog VGA output and the PQ is perfect. I really doubt that using DVI would improve things. I have had the same expierence with my 'normal' PC and LCD screen. With a good VGA cable there's simply no quality difference.

You can ultimately by an state of the art PCI-E gfx card with DVI output. Bit of a waste of the onboard video to my opinion.