1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp Acquos LC26GA3E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Barnetto, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying the Sharp LC26GA3E. We've decided that 26 inch is right for our room, the wife likes the look of it, Sharp is a good name, but I just can't find any reviews at all of this model. I can see from these forums that a lot of people have bought this model (or other Sharp Acquos models which presumably use the same technology). How happy are people with their purchases? Any responses gratefully received.

I am mainly interested in picture quality - it will be used for Freeview (Humax) TV, Xbox and DVD usage. Like most potential LCD buyers I'm worried about smearing etc on sport/games, and it is just impossible to tell from shop room displays what the picture quality might be like for TV (all the pictures in JL from a TV feed were appalling!)

I gather that it is a discontinued model but I have still seen a few around so should still be able to get it.

2. top_caty

top_caty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sister has this model, it's a nice TV but you have to spend a while getting the setting right so the picture quality is good. The default settings are no where near the best. I still haven't found the 'best' settings for it though.

Picture quality from DVD is great but personally I don't find the picture very good from her Pioneer freeview box. Hopefully I will find some better settings to improve the picture quality from freeview.

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not so much discontinued, but very difficult to get hold of!
    I have the 37" version and use it for SKY and DVD, and am quite happy with the PQ, it takes a bit of patience to set up as there are so many parameters that you can tweak! I have not noticed any smearing and a lot of these "problems" are not there on the better LCD screens using the latest generation panels. :thumbsup:

4. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the responses so far.

Jimg, when you mention the "better LCD screens using the latest generation panels" do you have any suggestions? What would you put in that category? I thought that since the Sharp only came out a few months ago it would have been one of the latest generation panels? Has the technology in this model already been superseded? I thought from reading through earlier threads that the LC26GA5 to be brought out soon by Sharp used exactly the same screen and technology but with paired down functionality.

Unfortunately I'm the sort of person to notice flaws and they prey on my mind so I'm keen to get the best visual display at around 26" that I can

5. mjfe

mjfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read here from many noise/buzzing problems with Sharp too.
    How big is this problem?
    Maybe someone can tell more.

I have too thought to buy Sharp LC26GA3.
    But not yet for the buzzing problem.

Greeting
    Martti

6. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I will getting my 26GA4E tonight after comparing it against other models it seems to be the best for the price. I have not reviews on the 26" verison either but all their other models seem to get 4/5, 5/5, 9/10, etc.

7. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Barnetto,
    Sorry do not mean to confuse you, yes this the latest technology; the "G" indicates the series of panel and the "5" is the reduced functionality version.
    The confusion has come about because the UK seems to be running out of the 3 and 4 variants especially the 32" size.

Martti,
    I think someone had a problem with buzzing but I am sure that it is not a general "feature" but a sign of a faulty unit.

8. mjfe

mjfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jimg for your answer!
    It helps my choice.

Martti

9. Shall

Shall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also in the market - is the only difference between the the 3E and 4E detachable speakers? And, if so, which is which?

Thanks

Steve

10. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the 3E the speakers are located underneath, with the 4E they are located at the sides.

11. Shall

Shall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Barnetto - so I guess I can remove them and use my surround sound.

12. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Ive got a 26GA3E, its the best £900 ive ever spent. The only issue is that you do have to spend time getting your preferred picture settings correct (what Top Caty said), Ive just been using DYMANIC mode and thats been suiting me fine.

Cant fault it as a TV. I dont hear any buzzing sound from my screen (not yet anyway!). The only bad thing I will say about it is that it doesnt have two RGB enabled SCARTS (only one, for which Sky, or whatever TV tuner youre using, quite simply has to use in RGB mode).

DVD quality is superb. I have mine connected via Component (with Progressive Scan enabled) to my Pioneer 575. Lovely. It also has a DVI in for connection to HDTV or PC hardware. I highly recommend it to you, I hope you can find one though.

13. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Shall, you can actually use the GA3/4E's speaker(s) as a surround center speaker. Something to be aware of :)

14. deadred

deadred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    If your still looking for the LC26GA3E try robertwhyte its £899 and comes with a 5yr warranty................bloody bargain!!!

OMG just clicked the link to make sure it works and they've upped the price to £999, it was deffo £899 last night as i was going to purchase but decided to go for a LC26GA4E instead...........sorry!

15. Shall

Shall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan

As the front centre? Easy to hook up?

Steve

16. aspender

aspender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite true. The Scart for Input 3 is also RGB, but the component inputs are also on Input 3 so most people would have something connected up to them.

17. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I had John Lewis match Robertsons (they have 20 stores in Scotland) for £938.97 and you get a 5 year warranty from John Lewis. Superb TV, I now just need to buy a Progressive DVD with Component out :D

18. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hugo - which John Lewis store did the price match?

Cheers
    Al

19. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi Al,

Milton Keynes. They wont match the internet, but Robertsons are a shop and therefore no problems.

Good luck

20. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    just bought mine yesterday and it is £999, although it is the black model which i think is better looking

21. roberte

roberte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    didnt realise they do these ga4 and 5in black?

22. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not sure if you get the GA4/5 in black as mines a GA3 , didn't realise it came in black at all till i seen it in the shop.

I was told they were john lewis special order and they didnt want all of them so robertwhyte bought them up.

looks pretty cool in black compared to all the silver tv's theses days.

23. baku

baku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for a bit offtopic, does this set automatically force progressive-scan pictures into 16x9?

24. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit late to ask this question, I know, but am I missing something but I can't see a Scart for input 3 ?? Only component/composite/S-video! Sorry to be stupid but what am I missing on the back panel of the 26GA3?? If there is a further RGB scart hiding there, I want to use it!

25. aspender

aspender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I assumed that the 26" was the same as my 32GA4E which has three scarts.

26. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Barnetto - I was lucky enough to pick up a G3E last week (£899 + 12 months interst free + 5 year warranty). Inputs are as follows ....

1) SCART (AV input, RGB input, TV output)
    2) SCART (AV input/output, Y/C input, AV Link)
    3) RCA pin (Component input), S-VIDEO (Y/C input), RCA pin (AV input)
    4) Ø 3.5 mm jack (Audio input), DVI-I (DVI-I input)

Speaker is in the centre and it can be used as the centre for a 5.1 system.

Hope this helps.

27. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I managed to get it for that price too from Robert Whyte, delivered last Friday. I noticed that it has now disappeared from their website. Just got a little over-excited that I was missing an extra RGB scart somehow - having to use the Xbox on input 2 at the moment with CV. May have to invest in a scart switch box.

Still playing around with the settings. If you have yours set up in a way that you are happy with, I would be very interested to hear any settings tips, or indeed what settings you have gone for.

28. Stuff

Stuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad you got a good deal, Barnetto. I've not had much time to tweak the settings as I'm still tinkering with connections. Suffice to say the the default settings have the brightnes & backlight way too high so the whites are simply glaring. "Game" setting is the best for me but I've set user #1 brightness/backlight down below 50%. There may be some other threads with settings on this forum. I'l post my optimised settings in a few weeks.

Cheers