1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 9000dlp, short notes

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    This is close to the shortest period of time I’ve ever had with a projector for evaluation. G10 from JVC was with me for about 10 minutes less I think…..

Arnie from Anders and Kern dropped in to see me this morning to show me this unit. They have the first stock in the UK. I had a SonyVPL11 to compare it with for reference.
    The Sharp appears to be a 1280 x 720 pixel device using TI’s new black chip. This is supposed to give you darker blacks and also reduce “halo” effect around the panel itself. It also uses a six segment colour wheel to reduce rainbowing.

So, how did it get on…..

Time was limited so I quickly set brightness, contrast, colour etc and then played around with colour temperature and greyscale by eye. Then it was on to watching stuff.

Put on Gladiator “battle of carthage”. I know it’s boring for folk to hear about the same scenes over again but it’s good for seeing if things are working well and my Insurrection disc was accidentally left at Jenz last weekend :) At the beginning of the scene when they are all awaiting going up to arena you could see plenty of detail in shadow areas and there was a great contrast to the bright and dark areas making it look very real compared to the washed out picture the VPL11 provided. Once out in the arena there were no artefacts on the tops of shields and the wooden ledge in front of the emperor was much much cleaner than with any other fixed pixel device I’ve had. Only artefacts that were viewable from seating position were the leading edges of the terraces which stair stepped and jumped a couple of pixels up and down a couple of times. This was very good and compares with a high quality external processor like a vigatec or Rock.

Stuck on Pleasantville and the scene where he reads from Huckleberry Finn. Looked great, no posterisation and the red jersey looked RED not orangey red like it’d been washed a few too many times…From looking at the colour bars on AVIA with this unit it looks to me like red and blue are correct or close and green is a bit yellowy. Better than most except SIM2’s in this regard.

Last was Moulin Rouge, Scene6, Diamonds are a girls… This has dark detail with lots of folk in black suits sitting in dark corners combined with bright colours of dresses and various different types of make up. Look at whether you can see the detail in the black coats and on the mens trousers. With some devices you can do this by turning up brightness but this just makes the thing looked false and washed out. The Sharp really shone with this disc. Dark detail was there and the contrast with the coloured dresses was fantastic.

I didn’t see an y halo to be a problem and rainbowing was same as HT200DM for me which means it was very occasional and I could cope easily with it.

So my thoughts are that this is a contender around £9000 asking price. Look forward to seeing the HT300 now. It should have the advantage of correct colours and sealed optical path as well as superior optics….at same price. Until that day though this is the fixed pixel champ…

coming next Rock Plus....
    Gordon

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my Z9000E for a couple of weeks and absolutely love it. For me the image it produces is superb. Colour, contrast and black level are very film like.

Scaler is also great but needs the sharpness setting taking down a bit to get the best picture. All other settings are default with normal brightness.

The price in the UK is an absolute rip off. I paid 6000quid which included VAT and delivery from Germany.

3. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    RRabi , I agree about the U.K. rip off pricing, which German firm did you buy from?
    Thanks.

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    I have to agree. The Sharp has a lot going for it. I had one bought over for a customer from Hong Kong around a month ago and had the opportunity of living with it for a couple of days.
    Very nice bright image (looks much brighter than the Sim 200) , Contrast Ratio, best I've seen on a single chip, colours were nice and did not seem as 'artificial' as other single lense devices I've seen. What screen and brightness level did you use. I tested the Sharp on my Studiotek 130 (87"x49") I found the high brightness option giving amongst other things a more striking image probably due to a better contrast ratio.
    Strangely enough, Don Stewart used the exact size screen for his look at this PJ. He used two screens. With the first one, his Greyhawk model, they got something like 13fl.
    With their Studiotek they got about 18fl.
    All in all a very promising projector but with a few caveats that would prevent me from considering this machine for my Home theater.
    1) When it comes to the Rainbow effect, I'm afraid I'm one of the allergic mob.
    2) Prior to my CRT baptism, I lived with a Sony LCD projector for over a year. The continuing build up of dust in the optical path (hence blobs on the screen) were nearly enough for me to commit myself to the nearest Mental Hospital.
    If the optical unit of this machine is not sealed, it would be a case of here we go again.
    3) I dont use a micro perf (dont like them at all) but Don Stewart Mentioned that anything less than an 88" wide screen with this DLP would lead to Pixel/Perferation interactivity causing moire etc, so thats something for prospective owners to think about.

I always thought this was a problem that was exclusive to the LCD/Perf combo. Wrong again apparently.

Best Wishes
    Eric

5. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was with gordon yesterday when viewing the sony 11ht and the new sharp 9000 when i got there they where watching `gladiator` on the sony,first thoughts hhhmmm thats good a bit greyish but damn good ,as gordon says a few artefacts but i could have lived with those,quite happily stood and watched thinking maybe at last i can buy this pj.........then he switched to the sharp:eek: all a can say is i love it !!!black detail,colour saturation,depth of picture,all well good enough for me,now i WANT/NEED one of these, i know in this country it`s over 4k more expensive than the sony,so probably unfare to compare, but i will be searching the web/anywhere for contacts for one of these.......i can understand ,it`s maybe not as good as the best crt`s but i can`t fit one of those in my tv room,so if i can get the price correct on the sharp,then,at this moment in time,my mind is made up:) ........now when do they release the ht300dm:)

6. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    paulsa, don't forget the upcoming Marantz, which also shows a lot of promise (and a shorter throw distance at that).

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.big-screen.de, Nice guys and they speak English, although I haven't had experience with their aftersales service - so who knows.