1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 9000+ The Rock ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paulsa, Oct 8, 2002.

1. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange request but i thought i might as well ask....as you ALL know when you start this `hobby`(take that as money destroying pastime:rolleyes: .......but worth it of course),you can`t seem to stop thinking about how to improve it, has any body ever fed the signal to their sharp 9000 from something like A Rock, or similar ??, or seen a demo of anything like this

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
  3. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,we have talked about it, but never got around to trying it.....problem being, where to mount the sharp to give it a decent `throw` with his set up.......any thoughts on what to expect ?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I think you'll see a better image. More detail, comre colour info less de-interlacing and scaling artefacts. Mostly noticeable with non DVD sources I'd guess though.

Gordon

Not done it so this is speculation

5. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Gordon,suppose i`d better go and get some cables made up then:) ,hope it isn`t much better..........how much is The Rock again ?:eek:

6. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paulsa

What DVD are you using these days?
    I'm using the PAL PS Hivizone Philips 962 with good results.

I find it odd that the Sharp 9000 doesn't report PAL PS but I know it's working as I lose all of the internal Progressive mode options (2D,3D,Film) presumably because it's already being sent PS. And the picture is a good deal smoother and solid with less judder during pans.
    I'm now starting to think about a proper screen as I'm still using white painted screen on a wall.

BTW What Gamma settings do you favour. I find it best calibrated using AVIA with Gamma 1 selected in low power mode.

Technophobe

7. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi technophobe, I`m currently using a pioneer 737, I choose that because of the many adjustments you can make to the picture from the player, and also prog scan on ntsc stuff,though i`ve got to say i don`t notice too much difference when it plays non prog scan discs (maybe on the `odd` fast pan but overall very little),I`ve `progressed a litle on the screen front at the moment i`m using a 7` wide blackout blind from John Lewis,using a material manufactured by `Jonelle Express` it`s a `bright` white, fairly stiff cloth and the difference is really marked,greater depth and colours are better....most impressed (cost £105),so much so,that i`ve already been on to gordon about thoughts on a `proper` screen.
    Gordon had a mini event a couple of months back,and we used my Pj for a demo , Gordon set the settings as below , and i tend to keep them roughly about the same

contrast -3
    bright 0
    colour +3
    tint 0
    sharpness -28
    red +21
    blue -15
    colour temp +1

gamma standard

good luck

8. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paulsa

I agree the Sharp has a pretty good scaler anyway so the improvements with a PS player are probably not as big as with other PJ's but clearly visible none the less.
    Have you fixed the screen material to a frame or have you kept it on the roll. If so do you find it to stay flat enough especially at the left and right hand edges? Any problems with hot spots or patterning?
    Can you recommend any good value white screen of 7-8 foot wide that's good with the sharp? I'm looking for a fixed screen so how could I ever get one delivered, or do you have to assemble the frame yourself?
    One last question. Do you have any idea what the lamps cost for the sharp and where do you buy them, is the quoted 2000Hr life at high or low power mode?
    Ok that’s two questions sorry

Technophobe