1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sharp 9000 temporal dithering ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paulsa, Dec 1, 2002.

1. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With my sharp 9000 I`m beginning to notice what i have been told is `temporal dithering`:confused: ,when objects/people move past a stationary camera,or a camera pans past stationary objects/people,the image appears to blurr/ smudge for a split second and then it`s perfect again....never really noticed it before, now it`s beginning to bug me as i keep looking for it rather than watch the movie :rolleyes:, the main source of signal is from a pioneer 737 (previously from a sony 9000) I didn`t seem to notice it before, am i being hyper critical or is this a `feature` of dlp Pj`s ? or is it a scaler issue(if so would something like `The Rock` resolve it), I `m not really that technically up to scratch on the how`s why`s etc.etc....I just want it to go away:) is that possible, or am I just doing something wrong....

2. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paulsa

I think what your seeing is to some extent the limitations of the DVD MPEG2 format. MPEG compression works by only recording the differences from the previous frame to save space and reduce the data rate. Reference frames are used to resync every so often.
    Since the differences between frames on stationary images or slow pans is small the available bandwidth is able to keep up. Faster pans result in large changes in picture content hence large differences frame to frame with the result that the bandwidth limit is reached and frame to frame picture detail is compromised during the pan. The effect is made worse by the large picture sizes used with projectors showing every drop of detail available on the DVD.
    Have you tried comparing using an uncompressed signal source such as ordinary TV signal i.e not Sky Digital or ITV Digital?

Technophobe

3. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply technophobe,my tv signal for the PJ comes from my digi box ,so it`s compressed too,need to find another way ,VHS ?is there any way to eliminate or reduce the dithering,or is it a dlp thing,as I said I find myself looking for this rather than watching the movie,wish i hadn`t noticed it now :rolleyes: