1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 50" plasma identical to Pioneer ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pilbeam_mp62, Dec 31, 2002.

1. pilbeam_mp62

pilbeam_mp62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have searched the forums and found a couple of references to this but I have just been to Tottenham Court Road and I find stores that are selling the Sharp 50" plasma + tuner+ stand + side speakers for £5,500....whereas the Pioneer HDE is £6,300 without the stand or speakers.

Are these 2 screens really identical in every respect, as the salesmen in the stores tell me ? What is the catch ?

Thanks very much.
    Regards

Kelvin

2. The Huss

The Huss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pilbeam_mp62

I have the pioneer hde and when the engineer went into the service menu there appeared to be two boxes which he had to select..

one for sharp and one for pioneer! So the previous thread would seem to hold some truth.

I am also informed that the media box is Sharp technolgy which pioneer has chosen as the interface.

If it is the pioneer clone, then with the speakers and stand thrown in it seems good value.

Remember though that if you're making this the centre piece of your AV set up it's unlikely that you'll be using the matching speakers much (if at all) - and once connected there do bulk the width quite considerably.

regards

huss

3. pilbeam_mp62

pilbeam_mp62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Huss - thanks for the info - I have looked at the specs and I note that the Sharp is heavier, but maybe that is including the speakers (which, as you point out, I wouldn't use anyway)

It does seem to be a good price relative to the Pioneer...maybe the "Pioneer" name costs money.. ?

Regards
    Kelvin

4. j_smit

j_smit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the Sharp has been discontinued - all stock was bought up very cheaply (hence the price) it is identicle though.

Check the warranty situatioon out first though.