1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 45in and Sony 46in LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Trumper1, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am fairly new to this forum but I am in Tokyo for a week and have been checking out the new toys....

First the Sharp 45GD1 which I think one or two members have already got in the UK. It is Yen855,000 here which if my maths are correct is about £4300. It was demonstrated with a hi def satellite feed of Athens highlights. Even with reasonably fast movement there seemed to be no obvious motion problems or blurring which I guess for a 12ms panel you would expect. The settings as usual were much too bright/high but that aside it looked very very good on this feed although slightly inferior to the Phillips 42in LCD in Harrods certainly in terms of sharpness. Finally it really is a huge panel even with the speaker underneath.

Next the Sony Qualia 46in LCD lit by LED's which are meant to give much better colour reproduction. This was in the Tokyo Sony centre, costs about Y1.1m (£6000ish) and was playing a blue Ray DVD. Once again much too bright, colour too intense and playing one of those dreadful bikini clad women discs. These factors aside, I would say that this panel is absolutely breathtaking, huge detail, big colour range and very pleasing to look at. Not sure if this panel is coming to the UK or not but lets hope so. Time to start saving.

Sorry for such a long post

Trumper1

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Any chance of some home cinema related pics from your trip to Japan. :)

3. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

I'd settle for any pix from Japan! :thumbsup:

4. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    One brief follow up on the 45GD1. I saw it today with a low bitrate SD satellite feed. The reviews will probably say something like 'it is unforgiving on lower quality feeds'. My entirely personal view is that is is unwatchable with the low quality feed I saw. A good reason to audition something this expensive with low as well as high quality feeds before buying it.

6. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it was using the default settings then yes it would look awful as I found out.

However if you use the internal DTV tuner and reduce the sharpness have a fiddle with backlight, brightness etc you can make it look quite good. Sure its never going to be as forgiving as a lower res set but it still looks better than my old rear projection tv.

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Personally I'm not sure whether it's worth buying an expensive hi-def set at the moment. At least wait until Sky starts broadcasting hi-def pictures in 2006. By then there should be a greater range of 1920 by 1080p res. tvs, with a better PQ, quicker response times, more connections, and probably cheaper to boot. Unless you desperately need a new tv now and want to be relatively future proof. None of these tvs have more than one hdmi input. What use will that be when you want to connect a Blu-Ray player, Sky hi-def, and one of the next gen consoles (PS3/XBOX 2 etc.) to your tv at the same time. :confused: