1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 45" LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Andrew K, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Andrew K

Andrew K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Has anyone seen the new 45" LCD from Sharp yet ? What is the quality like and is it worth the £5k+ price tag ?

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  3. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    John Lewis @ Cheadle Hulme Cheshire have one on display - seen it today :hiya:

4. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The only thing that would deter me from this set is that it didn't appear to be possible to drive it at its full 1920x1080 from a PC via DVI.

James

5. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Was it deffo the 45" version, if so what was the price as its not listed on their web site. If they are selling it and offereing warranty I might have to take a trip to my nearest one :thumbsup:

I can't find anywhere that actually sells this screen that will give any sort of extended warranty. I don't fancy spending 5K+ on something that could go wrong in 18 months time.

Sharp are doing a special offer if you buy before Xmas but I don't need to purchase for a month or 2 and don't want something that nice :) or expensive sitting around doing nothing.

Regarding the 1920x1080 connection according to avsforums you can go direct via DVI to the screen. If you are that concerned buy a DVI switcher and stick that into the screen and then the media box & PC into the switcher. The US peeps have done it this way and it works (so long as your PC is good enough). They have a slighty better (different) media box to us as get the scart sockets - they have HDMI & DVI I believe.

6. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can drive it via DVI @ 1920x1080 if your graphics card meets the DVI 1.0 spec ( most ATI cards do, some Nvidias don't. For ultimate reassurance a dual-link dvi card will guarantee sucess however there is a massive price tag on dual-link cards.

I had more success going by the media box than I did going direct to the screen.

I'm only guessing here, but I would thank that going direct to the screen you can get 1080p rather than 1080i. My graphics card is not capable of 1080p via dvi so I can't confirm this.

I love my 45" Sharp. The picture on high def sources looks fantastic even at distances less than 30cm from the screen.

7. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes m8 , it was the 45" . The price was inclusive of Sharps latest 120g HD DVD player @ £6500 . :eek: :eek: :eek:
    ps. It definately said inc.5 Year warranty . But don't they already come with 3Yrs as standard ?

8. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either that HD dvd player is worth a hell of a lot of money or that display is seriously overpriced.

Didn't pay anywhere near that for mine and whilst I only have a 3 year warranty I'll live with the saving I made.

I fact I didn't spend that much in total and I bought a denon 2910 and a 2805 amp as well.

9. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I didn't say it was cheap m8 , just that it was physically there . The picture did look suprisingly good despite being connected by scart !!!! According to the sales youth " it's the ultimate connection " :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

10. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    6500 is the rrp I think for that display. Most of the internet retailers seem to be doing it for 1000-1500 quid less.

The 3 year warranty is when you register with Sharp - Not sure if its return to base or on site swap out. If something major goes in this display its going to be a right hefty bill I would imagine. Whatever display I get is going to last 5 years or more so I want it working for that long with peace of mind.

Oh well might have to wait for the internet boys to get some warranty stuff for LCD's setup (most are return to base). :thumbsdow

11. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    just to add.
    the 3 yr warranty is up the 24 dec 04.
    the warranty includes an in home service.
    hope this clears things a little