1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 37p50E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by blakey1, Oct 11, 2005.

1. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'm thinking of getting one of these as I saw it in JL showing some football from Sky and the picture quality was really good. My only concern is I want to keep the TV until it breaks and therefore is it likely at sometime that you will only be able to watch Sky if you a HD ready TV? As the tv is HD compatible will I be able to connect it to a Sky HD box in the future?

2. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    Do a search for the Sharp P50's. plenty there.

I got a 26" today. Really impressed with it. However. I got it as my CRT went kaput, and I am moving soon, so didn't want to get a full on 37" HD ready set until then.

It will accept HD signals, although you will not get the full on HD resolution.

3. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have looked at previous threads but am sure whether the P50e will connect to Skys HD service but at a lower res or whether it will just not work at all. Also will there be a time in the next 5 years or so when sky will say that you need a HD set to watch their services therefore meaning you will not be able to get SKY without a HD ready TV.

4. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp's P50 LCD's are HD Compatible (with HDCP) which means that they will be "compatible" with future Sky HD broadcasts, but the picture will be scaled down to 540 lines.

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    It will work OK with the Sky HD service for two reasons. Firstly, it can accept a 720p/1080i signal, albeit scale it down, and secondly it has the necessary inputs for HD TV - component and HDMI.

6. dakara

dakara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At 07.30 this morning, I received a phone call from courier advising me of delivery of a new 37P50 ordered Sunday night,
    At 10.00 I was editing a dvd on my 15 year old Panasonic TX-28W1,bought in June1990 for 650 Pounds, when it suddenly failed completely-DEAD [RIP]
    At 11.00 the courier arrived with my new set - talk about fate,eh.
    This Sharp was so easy to set up, and is just perfect for my needs - DVD's, Satellite reception, sound, all very pleasing, and at a great price.
    If anybody in France is looking to buy a new TV, I can strongly recommend discounteo.com for their excellent service and prices.
    Dakara :smashin:

7. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Nice little tale ;)

8. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried to take comparative photos between LC37P50E and LC37GD1E running 720p HD demo. Decide for yourselves...

Attached Files:

9. jabberwocky-

jabberwocky-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well done that man.

Interesting to see there is some noticable differance, but not huge.

10. sneekyb

sneekyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd struggle to tell the difference between those. If anything from the photo I prefer the clarity of the text the P50 is producing.

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    It would help if you said which pic was which. I'm guessing that the first set is the GD1E.

12. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just hover your mouse over the thumbnails...
    Yes, the 1st set is the GD1E.

13. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I've heard some good things about these PAL optimised Sharp LCDs... and am seriously thinking about the 37P50E (am also thinking about the 35PE50 :) (panasonic plasma) ).

If anyone seen has both this Sharp LCD tele and the Panasonic Viera plasma with Freeview/DVD, which one would you say is better in picture quality?

Obviously the main benefit for me to go for the LCd instead of the plasma, would be that I wouldn't have to worry about screen burn -- which is something i'm very paranoid about, despite the assurances i've had that the Panasonics dont get screen burn, I am still a little bit reluctant in going for a plasma (although I do like the picture quality of the Panasonic plasma).

Also I'm curious if anyone has done a comparision of the new range of Sony LCDs (V32 or v40) with these Sharps - I realise that the Sony have an edge with high definition, but given that I will be mainly watching Freeview and DVDS.. I wasn't greatly impressed by the Sony , the motion blurring effect really put me off in the end... -- so how does the Sharp LCD rate in comparison?

And lastly, can someone tell me how highly are Sharp LCDs rated generally in the magazines etc, ? I mean are they seen as a top brand and ranked alongside the market leaders Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic etc -- I must admit that I've always thought about Sharp being a lesser brand ranked, alongside the likes of Goodmans, Bush - the kind of tele brand you see at supermarkets like Asda.

But I'll have to confess I really did like the picture I saw on one of the Sharp LCDs at Currys a few weeks ago.. and will be going down to take another look.

14. hardiz

hardiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    sharp are up there with the besT!

15. Lakes_Puma

Lakes_Puma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have the sharp 37P50 and for DVD playback the set is extremely impressive.
    I have a decent DVD player and have spent a bit of time with DVE to set it up. There is a lot more I can 'fiddle' with as I'm new to tweeking at this level but the initial results are breathtaking.

I am waiting for a new PVR to be launched (humax 9200T) so haven't fiddled with the broadcast side of things much but the image from analogue broadcasting is good. I haven't noticed any spearing or artifacts at all.

16. Borgy

Borgy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, Toshiba and many other manufacturers out there use Sharp LCD Panels so that must say something, I really do love my 32P50E, really chuffed with it, is spot on Quality can't fault it DVD playback wise, also Freeview is excellent some channels differ like ITV2 but it's to be expected with the low bitrate etc.

17. 8472

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are you running your DVD with Progessive Scan via component, by any chance? I have the same set and have tried it with two different component Progessive Scan DVD recorders and the TV still flickers and judders in that configuration (Interlaced is fine). Im still waiting for Sharp to get back to me to resolve this not uncommon issue. Funnily enough, downscaled Progessive Scan Hi-Def content via HDMI is fine :confused:

18. Borgy

Borgy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    honestly mine seems to be fine progressive scan will have to test more DVDs though but watched Sin City on it and seems fine? will watch a few more and let you know m8.

19. Gordon D

Gordon D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I’ve got the 32” version and I’ve hooked up my DVD with component and progressive scan turned on , and I haven’t seen the juddering effect either.

20. phenom

phenom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok for me, the decision is out of this sharp and the 40" Samsung ROME TV, however I want to be able to display my games at full resolutions not downscaled! Can anyone advise on this? Looking at the spec sheet the two look very similar however if the Sharp cannot display full resolution then thats no good no? :confused:

21. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The Sharp is 960x540 whereas the Samsung is 1366x768. You need to decide what resolution you want you're games to play at.

22. Borgy

Borgy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the GA6E then m8.

23. sneekyb

sneekyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here. All is working perfectly but AFAIK the TV was only collected by the retailer from Sharp last Monday so possibly they've issued a fix for new units?

24. krikker

krikker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

A question for all P50 users:
    Have you tried to connect your PC to the tv to watch movies and other content (dvd, divx/xvid, jpegs). Would the "pal-resolution" result in distortion of any kind?
    Thanks!

/Krikker

25. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried connecting PC DVI to HDMI on a LC37P50E, with varying success.
    On the PC, I've got an Asus graphics card with DVI out and using a free download called Powerstrip (http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm) to set the resolution and scan rates.

1920 x 1080 - displays full screen and great for movies and HD material, but normal windows text is unreadable due to scaling down to 540 lines. Resizing fonts is a possible solution.

1280 x 720 - again fine for DivX movies and HD stuff but scaling caused problems with windows text.

960 x 540 - this is the native resolution of the P50 panel so should give the best results. However, I can't get the it to display full screen (too narrow) despite spending ages adjusting scan rates etc in Powerstrip. Also, I lose the signal when switching inputs on the LCD. Have to unplug and re-insert the HDMI cable to get the PC picture back.

928 x 522 - ended up using this as text looked OK and was stable when switching between inputs on the LCD.

26. krikker

krikker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks... I have a 64mb ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 card on my lappy - do you think resluts would differ any from yours?

/Krikker

27. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure, does your lappy have DVI out??? Required if you're going to connect via HDMI. Would also advise you to look on the forums at:
    http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

28. krikker

krikker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know I do not have a DVI port (only VGA and tv-out). Can't I just use a VGA/DVI adaptor?

29. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you mean something like http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1310, then I think you'd be better off just using your TV Out.

These carry out some kind of scan conversion and don't always give the best results - also, you'll have one less box to contend with (looks v. expensive too!) :rolleyes:

IMO HDMI should only be used with DVI/HDMI outputs.

30. krikker

krikker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm ok... but as far as I understand TV-out is much inferior compared to VGA. Is there no way to connect via VGA? Alternatively, is there some way that I can add a DVI port to my lappy?
    Or maybe I can optimise it somehow through my DVD/player (Denon DHT-500SD)?