Sharp 37GD1 vs 37GA3/4/5

paul155

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am on the lookout for a 37 inch model to be used prob 50:50 for TV and DVD vieiwing. I have seen the Sharp models in John Lewis and the lack of screen surround is a big plus point compared to some other manufacturers. I have also been impressed with the picture quality of the 37GD1E.

However - does anyone know why the GD range is consistently over £1000 more than the GA range?? I know it has a digitial tuner - but is there anything else on the panel to warrant such a big price differential?

The simple answer is no! I chose the 37GA4 because I have SKY+ and did not want the tuner. Avoid the GA5 as it is a reduced functionality set. It is your choice, but I agree a £1000 is a lot of money for very little!

Thanks for the input jimg, can I ask how you find the PQ from sky?

Reading the magazines over the last couple of months - Sharp models were very good with hi quality sources, but because there was no picture enhancement technology (like pixel plus or WEGA) broadcast quality was not as good as the latest Philips/Sony sets. As a Sharp owner - have you ever thought that the set's PQ was lacking when fed with Sky+?

On DVD it is brilliant, with SKY it is fine on the main channels especially the movie channels. I would say overall it is very good, when the feed is poor you can notice it, but it is still acceptable. There have been some threads on here about the "over processing" of pixel plus and people have been turning off some of the features to improve the picture. I do not think you will be disappointed with a GA3 or GA4, if you are going to dump the speakers as I did, then the GA4 will sit lower on the stand assuming you are not wall mounting it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom