Sharp 36UF5 - Adjusting Overscan - Service Menu Help

conebone69

Standard Member
I play ps3 on this tv (non widescreen CRT) and the sides and top are cut off leaving me with a cropped image. I was able to get into the service menu of the TV and found these values:

V02 49(073) 5

I don't know what each of these mean. Can someone help me in adjusting the values so that the image will fit on my tv better. Thanks.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Set your PS3 to 4x3 aspect ratio and don't touch anything in the TVs service menu.

fallenangle

Novice Member
I'm not going to disagree with the general advice of not messing about with the Service Menu unless you know what you're doing. But there are plenty of us who aren't qualified TV engineers who have learned how to access the Service Menu of our TVs and haven't stuffed things up.

In this case the advice simply to switch to 4:3 will often not help with games which can be presented in all sorts of picture area formats. Even without that perennial annoyance of SCART shift the picture may even be off-set in an off-set larger image field right from the start.

Old PAL PS and early PAL PS2 games particuarly those without a 60Hz option are notorious for their letter/window boxing. But more modern games can be as bad and it's still a lottery whether the game itself will even have any image centring option built in. That won't help with top/bottom borders except to equalise them anyway.

Believe me these sorts of things can ruin the gaming experience. On a PC monitor image sizing/positioning controls/options are part and parcel of the system. Why TV manufacturers and Sony in particular make it difficult for the end user to make similar adjustments without risk I just do not understand. A truly gamer friendly TV ie. a TV which gave users access to the controls they wanted rather than those the manufacturers think they should have would sell like hot cakes.

So my point is rather than say don't, if you know how, explain the Sharp TV's Service Menu so he can adjust the overscan and H/V image position on his TV. Explain any risk involved and then leave it up to him if he wants to take that risk.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
In this case the advice simply to switch to 4:3 will often not help with games which can be presented in all sorts of picture area formats. Even without that perennial annoyance of SCART shift the picture may even be off-set in an off-set larger image field right from the start.
This isn't a UK/European model and I suspect the OP is in the US where the scart connector isn't used.
Not knowing the model and what chassis is fitted (which are completely different to ours here in the UK), quite simply, I cannot tell him how to enter service mode.

fallenangle

Novice Member
With respect, he's in the Service Menu he wants help with understanding the sub-menus/acronyms/abreviations being used so he can make the adjustment he wants. I would have thought that Sharp used standard Service Menu terminology worldwide so somebody with a Sharp Servce manual might be able to help even if not with the
precise settings required for that model.

BTW I was just using SCART shift as an example of a good reason why you might want to get into the TV's Service Men. But the fact is dealing with uncentred and unevenly bordered image fields has always been a universal problem whatever region or cable connection method you use.

t

conebone69

Standard Member
i bought the service manual and was able to make the adjustments in the service menu to get the results i wanted. this forum was completely useless.

fallenangle

Novice Member
Yes, not the sort of response you'd hope for. But he did ask a specific question which I was, delicately if a bit long windedly, trying to point out you hadn't answered. The advice to leave the Service Menu alone might have been taken not quite as intended.

I had a very similar experience here when I asked about specific features in the Service Menu of my JVC TV. It left me somewhat
frustrated.

I was reminded of it recently when I actually found a thread here that pre-dated my enquiry which answered all the questions I
had and more. It would have saved me a lot of time and effort if rather than just warn me off somebody had provided a link to that thread
and let me worry about the risks involved.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom