SHARP 32JF - 74H problem. HELP

9000cse

Standard Member
Hi all, I'm new here, so not sure if this is the right place to submit this panic. I need to find help from someone who knows all about TV's.

The TV in question is a SHARP 32JF-74H. The dogs :cen: when I bought her in 2002. Full HD 1080i in 2002 was something.
OK she is 8 years old, but still a good TV, although not at the moment, as she does not work. I just cannot afford a new one just yet, But have seen a Tosh. 32" in ARGOS for £245, which I think I'll be saving up for.

The problem.
With the mains plug in. Turn on TV and the LED flashes RED, turns GREEN, turns RED (all in a matter of 1 second) then out and TV is DEAD, nothing. If you try again, nothing happens. However, wait for 5 or so minutes and plug back into mains and the loop starts again - LED flashes RED, turns GREEN, turns RED (all in a matter of 1 second) then out and TV is DEAD.

I have taken off the back cover, and downloaded the - Service_Manual_Sharp_32jf_74h_Color_Tv.pdf. Cleaned out as much dust (Cover never been of in the 8 years we have had her. So 8 years of dust from 5 houses) as I could without disturbing anything other than dust.
Check the main 3.1A fuse, that's OK, had a good look around, can see nothing that would suggest a fault. I have removed the only - IC 1002 CH-IX1841CJHD EPROM SET 4M 3V FLASH 32JF74H S AY - With this out, The LED stays RED, if that's of any help. This is now back in place.
So, that's as much as I can tell you.
Anybody got any ideas on what is causing the TV not to work. What I need to know is...is she BER?
If anybody wants to view the service Manual, its 6.25Mb - 63 Page PDF. Let me know and I will upload to my server for you to download. I will email you the address.
thanks for reading.
Andy

9000cse

Standard Member
Thanks JayCee. So, it's BER then, I could fit a new part, if I knew which one to fit.

Cheers
Andy

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Most of the later Sharp CRT sets...your model included, were hated by the repair trade as they were very unreliable.
I stated it's probably the LOPT but obviously since I'm not sitting behind your set taking measurements can't be 100% sure so I would not recommend you going out and buying a part only to fit it and find out it wasn't that but something else entirely and you would have wasted money on it and be no further forward.

9000cse

Standard Member
Most of the later Sharp CRT sets...your model included, were hated by the repair trade as they were very unreliable.
I stated it's probably the LOPT but obviously since I'm not sitting behind your set taking measurements can't be 100% sure so I would not recommend you going out and buying a part only to fit it and find out it wasn't that but something else entirely and you would have wasted money on it and be no further forward.
JayCee, unreliable it has not been. Up until now that is. 8 years of being on most of the day. NEWS 24. The Wife.
No worries there, I do not think I'll be rushing out to buy a part, I have no clue on.
I see you live way up North, so there is no way I'm going to carry it up to you home. ;-)
Thanks for your input. It's made me think, about time we bought a new TV.

Andy

anthony walker

Standard Member
i worked for sharp in manchester for many years and went on all the sevice courses, if yours was the gs chassis or that awful cs chassis i would say bin it, the jf however was reliable and the lopt.s dont fail unless the insulation breaks down, it could be the line transistor, the psu will fire up with no load on it, remove said transistor and measure it, if i remember there is a service bulletin on this chassis on the sharp site, ill have a look for you as soon as i can

9000cse

Standard Member
i worked for sharp in manchester for many years and went on all the sevice courses, if yours was the gs chassis or that awful cs chassis i would say bin it, the jf however was reliable and the lopt.s dont fail unless the insulation breaks down, it could be the line transistor, the psu will fire up with no load on it, remove said transistor and measure it, if i remember there is a service bulletin on this chassis on the sharp site, ill have a look for you as soon as i can

Hi Anthony, OK, so where on the chassis would I find out if it's GS or CS? And where abouts on the board would this line transistor be? I have put the SM on-line, the tread above your. which page am I looking at?
Thanks for your help
Cheers Andy

anthony walker

Standard Member
fortunately yours its neither, the jf denotes the chassis used, the sharp site is down at the moment, but as soon as its on ill check the bulletins for this set, should be today though,
regards

anthony walker

Standard Member
the line transistor is q602, it is near the lopt, thats the thing with the thick red lead going to the tube (crt)
if you remove it and then try the set and the green light remains on for more than a few secs that may be your problem, however something may have killed it in the first place, q602 is fitted to the heat sink with a large spring clip

Trending threads

Top Bottom