1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 32GD1E to replace Tosh 32WL48 or what else ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by skinimin, Aug 3, 2005.

1. skinimin

skinimin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got to do it all again !!! After spending many hours browsing these forums back in January I purchased a Tosh 32WL48 which i have been very happy with. Unfortunately I am being refunded for the Tosh as it has been invaded by no less than 15 " Thunder Bugs " very small insects that have managed to crawl between the backlight & screen :oops:

So I now have to check out the best replacement, I've preordered a Tosh 32WLT58 from unbeatable on the strength of the 48 but I can't help checking out the competition. Are there any issues with the Tosh 56-58 series, grainy HDMI etc ?

I've seen a good deal on the Sharp 32GD1E that is now in my price range :)
    but am concerned by some of the reports of the freeview quality, freeview looked great on the tosh with a bit of adjustment. I've also put a lot of Hi Def stuff through the Tosh via PC DVI to HDMI & was very pleased with the result, would the Sharp be better here ? I like the idea of the seperate media box so when the set is wall mounted all of your connections can be hidden in a cupboard somewhere plus I like the detachable speaker.

Any suggestions welcome

Also in consideration
    Panasonic TX32LXD500
    Hitachi 32LD7200
    JVC LT-32DS5
    New Sharp 32GD7E though it will probably exceed my 1300 pound budget

Cheers

Ian

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I checkout out the GD1E last September and compared it with a Toshiba - can't remember the model but it was current at the time. The Toshiba was soon off the shortlist, can't remember why and I very nearly bought the GD1E but in the end went for the Loewe Xelos SL, a very very close cousin. The GD1E was great at HD input but had a few faults (no native input at 50Hz and problematic 1080i) the most annoying being the sensitivity of the remote which needed to be pointed directly at the screen - claimed by Sharp to be a result of interference from the surrounding screens, hmmm.

I did however got some look at the freeview capability and it was most disappointing but I didn't get any time to play. I don't regret my decision for going with Loewe over Sharp as, what was then the same price, the picture was noticibally better.

However, if you can get the GD1E for your £1300 budget, it is a stonking set and very well built.

But as always, you should try in person before you buy as ones person great picture may be awful to someone else. Only you can tell what you do and do not find acceptable.

-Ian

3. skinimin

skinimin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply. The Tosh is all packed up & ready to go and I'm back to an old 4:3 22" CRT :suicide:

What are the issues with 1080i & 50 hz on the GD1E, the Tosh accepted everything I threw at it from the PC via HDMI but there was always some fizziness to large areas of one colour etc , although from standard watching distance it looked fantastic.

The Tosh out of the box looked awfull & it took 3 weeks of tweaking ( not being afraid to turn every to 0 ) before I was happy with it but hadn't changed the settings for 6 months, possibly the gd1e just needs tweaking on the freeview input.

Cheers

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The GD1E has a problem with some 1080i sources - admitted by Sharp. It would not work with my DVD player when I tested. Native resolution (1366x768) is only available at 60Hz for this display and only when using it in PC mode dot for dot. I have quoted below answers to a number of my questions to Sharp last year. I thought that I had posted it somewere on the forums at the time, but I cannot find it.

I just noticed your other thread about colour banding on your Toshiba. I remember seeing this on the one that I demo'ed but never had a tweak - it was one on the - column of my shortlist. The Sharp is definately 8 bits each for RGB, ie 24 bit colour.

-Ian

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    If you're at £1300 max, then the Sharp GD1 should fit the bill nicely, but bear in mind you can get the 37" for £1500.
    My favourite in the sensible price bracket is the JVC DS6 - others prefer the Panny DX500. I'm looking forward to see what the Loewe Individual is like in Sept and the new GD7/GA6 from Sharp in a few weeks time.
    I stopped even looking at Toshiba products years ago - round about the time they tried to emulate a flat panel TV with the very thin bezel look. Horrible!
    They were a standard bearer in TVs many moons ago, but others have caught up and surpassed them - esp the late comer that is Samsung.

6. skinimin

skinimin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where have you seen the 37GD1E for £1500 ?

7. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    id like to know that as well

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: