Sharp 32GA6 - please give your opinions

Does the backlight dim or switch off when using VGA with the Sharp LC-32GA6E and does it do 1:1 pixel mapping?

Sharp is better than the Samsung - had GD1, now using R41. Not quite night and day difference, but enough to see the Sharp was a better design. How much improvement the GA 6 has had, or how close it'd be to the GD1 (last year's model replaced with GD7), I can't say, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least the equal to it.
As for PC usage - IIRC, the Sharps do 1360x768 - so a slight bit of stretching to fill the full 1366 width.
Adjustable backlight makes enough of a difference to be worthwhile having. The Samsung doesn'd have that function, and can be trickier to nail the adjustments to get as good an image as the Sharp did.
Again, the GD1 had adjustments by the bucket-load, but have of them were not touched, and I got an image I could've lived with forever and a day.

I just saw on the official Sharp site and the response rate is 16ms for the 32GA6. Isn't the Samsung rated 12ms or are Samsung using a more devious method to measure the rate like grey to grey and not white to black?

The thing is, pixel response of the panel is only half the story - the other half is the elctronics that drive the panel, hence why the use of higher voltages by some panel manufacturers to get the response down to 2 and 4 msecs.
Don't worry about the numbers - your eyes will tell you what the real story is.

How well do Sharp LCDs scale SD material (480i) and do they have any issues with 60Hz / NTSC material like the Samsung tearing issue etc?

Eiji83 said:
I just saw on the official Sharp site and the response rate is 16ms for the 32GA6. Isn't the Samsung rated 12ms or are Samsung using a more devious method to measure the rate like grey to grey and not white to black?

Sharp measure their screen response times in a different way. Their 12ms GD7E model is currently one of the fastest (in terms of response time) panels on the market.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom