1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 32GA6 - please give your opinions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by HarryBarton, Oct 25, 2005.

1. HarryBarton

HarryBarton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    hi guys, I have been considering this 32" panel from sharp... however, I am unsure if it is hd ready or not, i went in to comet and they didnt have one on show but the guy went on the computer and said it had no hdmi, no vga, no rgb just 2 regular scarts etc :(

can anyone confirm the REAL specs? and give comments if they have used this set?

thanks!

(also, it comes with no tuner, so do i need freeview?)

2. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    it is HD ready has a HDMI port. its the 32GA5E that dont have the HDMI ports.

im either going to get this the sammy or sagem 32" in a few weeks time, just hope i make the right choice me self :rolleyes:

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Well, AFAIC, there's no comparison even between the Sharp and Samsung, never mind the Sagem.
    Might want to consider the JVC DS6 as a worthy contender.
    Equally, you might want to wait until next Feb/Mar when some new panels will be introduced by a number of manufacturers, to coincide with Sky+ HD around that time. They should all be 1920x1080 full HD resolution, but likely to be 37" and above only.
    Mind you, Benq's official UK 37" will happen then, but already it's grey-imported by a few resellers online and can be had for £1100.
    There's a potential problem in that it may not have SCART sockets, but does have DVI-HDCP and 2 Component by the looks of it. All depends in how (im)patient you are.
    For some, 4 months longer to wait is doable bfore deciding which wagon to hitch their britches to - 1366x768 or 1920x1080.

4. fuz

fuz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm posting this message through my GA6E, to clear up some confusion it does have HDMI and VGA. It doesn't have freeview, although after messing around with a few settings the PQ on a normal aerial is better than the Samsung LE32R41 I returned last month, and I like the look of this over the Sammy. I'm using VGA to connect to the PC at the moment and its fine although once I buy a HDMI to DVI converter i'm sure the quality will be better. Need to buy some component leads to try the PS2 and Xbox.

5. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Good first post Fuz! :smashin:

Can you get 1:1 pixel mapping on the GA6E via VGA? What resolutions have you tried? Thanks.

6. HarryBarton

HarryBarton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    hehe, I've already waited 4 months!! so the Sharp is definitely a good 'un?
    also, is it true sharps allow to you change your lamp when it burns out?

I sure hope this is "the one" cus I'm sick of looking at the Samsungs everywhere, I want somethin a little different....

also... what are the scarts? RGB? any or just 1

thanks for all the replies, I appreciate this.

7. hermes

hermes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my GA6 for about a week now and am very happy with it!

I can recommend a place called RGB direct for any LCD tv's, they have a web site and also two shops.

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk

8. HarryBarton

HarryBarton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    ok, £900.. can you post a few pics of it in action? i need to find it on display in a store...

i found it for £810 + £10 delivery... a deal?
    if any other owners around write me a little summary of your experiences with it please... info on hdtvs is so scarce

9. fuz

fuz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only been able to get 1360 x 768 + 1280 x 768 working, so it does stretch the screen a tiny bit (making up for the 6 pixels missing) but it isn't noticeable sitting more than a few feet away. I'm going to mess around with a few graphics settings using powerstrip tonight to try and get a few other resolutions working: I've heard a few people have managed to get 1920 x 1080 res using nvidia cards, interlaced mode and 30hz refresh rate.

HarryBarton, I bought my screen from Misco

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~102336~/SHARP AQUOS 32 LCD-TV LC32GA6E.htm

Came with next day delivery and no problems. I have a few pics I took yesterday before I had set it up properly, I need to buy the proper cables before I wall mount it. The scart inputs are RGB and AV.

(Hooked up to the PC with VGA and 1360 x 768 Res)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.meehan1/40600009.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.meehan1/40600003.JPG

Size difference next to my LG 19" Monitor

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.meehan1/40600026.JPG

I'll try and get some pics of it with freeview and normal TV plugged in tonight.

10. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I *almost* bought the lcd37p50e this morning. I wont be gaming, or watching hi-def telly, Just regular broadcast, freeview and dvds. The Panny 32lxd52 was next to a Sharp 3250pe. Problem is, the digital signal on the Panny was way better (sharper, showed more detail, more vivid (but I didn't get a chance to tinker!) than the Sharp analgue signal. Then when I switched the Panny to analgue, there was barely any difference. Again, Panny was sharper and more detailed (sharpness may have been turned down I guess).

Now I'm wondering whether I should just gor for a HD panel, if the difference in off air broadcast is neglible. How have you found the off air boradcasts on 32GA6

11. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    harry where is it for £810

thanks

jason

12. HarryBarton

HarryBarton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  13. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    thanks

jason

14. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    that a reputable retialer?

i know there 1080 res lcd panels out ina few months but ive been without a proper tv for the past 10 months suing my 24" dell screen as tv is ok and which ever i decide to buy im looking to keep it for at least 2 years and upgrade to better model. and 1:1 via gfx dvi to a tvs hdmi port would suit me fine as i have gfx card with dual dvi ports

atm im leaning towards the sharp or do i just buy a cheap crt tv till better types of tvs arrive. theres never a good time to buy anything:/

15. HarryBarton

HarryBarton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    its like all technology, as soon as you decide what you want, something nicer comes a long... you just have to go for it otherwise you're gonna be waiting forever for that upgraded/nicer/better product

16. HarryBarton

HarryBarton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    last question, does the sharp have picture in picture? as this would be mega handy for link up matches with my 2 xboxes... not entirely practical but good for a laugh

im starting to side with the samsung just because it has a few features i like, but aesthetically, the sharp is beautiful compared to the tacky samsung - and it has a crud remote :)

17. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not the GA6 - GD7 does, as well as Freeview and a few other tricks - PAT & PAP, 3 year warranty, different (better IMO) colour, and better motion detection cicuitry.
    Worth the £400 ish difference? Only you can decide if those additional features are justified.

18. HarryBarton

HarryBarton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    900 my absolute limit, only 18 and its for the bedroom so im already going a bit OTT :)

19. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
  20. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Will it do PAP on the VGA, component (SD and HD signal) and HDMI inputs?

21. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I wouldn't have thought so, seeing as there's no mention of PAP for the GA6. If you mean the GD7 - I'm not 100% sure - I'd guess so, but that could be wishfully hoping it does.

22. themanwithapc

themanwithapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Just 2 question before I take the plunge to order this, if anyone with a set could kindly answer:

1. Does the GA6 model have an adjustable backlight?
    2. How good is the quality on SD feeds?

23. unstirling

unstirling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got this yesterday and think its awesome although i am no expert. Thought i'd answer some of your questions.

It does have an adjustable back light. DVD's look totally awesome and there is no motion smearing that i have noticed.

I have SKY and some channels look great and others look a bit ropey but this is a problem you just gotta get used to with an HD screen(channel 5 looks **** - who cares). If you tinker with the settings you can definately improve the picture though (i found the factory settings far too bright.)

I got it for xbox360 but current xbox also looks awesome. Played Halo 2 and project gotham and its really smooth.

If your only gonna watch SD then i would recommend the PAL optimised sharp which has really good reviews.

I bought it from xpresstek for £820 including P+P. Delivered next day and woman i talked to was really helpful and called me to inform me of dispatch.

Hope this helps, sorry its a bit long winded

24. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Is the Sharp LC-32GA6E better than the Samsung LE32R41BD and if so, why?

I was so close to buying the Samsung LE32R41B but the Sharp also comes within my price range.

25. unstirling

unstirling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its just a matter of preference. i've never had the samsung so i dont know how good it is. I do know microsoft are using them for reasons not purely based on quality but from what i've heard they are very good.

I'm sure if you bought either you'd be very happy.

26. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Does the backlight dim or switch off when using VGA with the Sharp LC-32GA6E and does it do 1:1 pixel mapping?

27. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Sharp is better than the Samsung - had GD1, now using R41. Not quite night and day difference, but enough to see the Sharp was a better design. How much improvement the GA 6 has had, or how close it'd be to the GD1 (last year's model replaced with GD7), I can't say, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least the equal to it.
    As for PC usage - IIRC, the Sharps do 1360x768 - so a slight bit of stretching to fill the full 1366 width.
    Adjustable backlight makes enough of a difference to be worthwhile having. The Samsung doesn'd have that function, and can be trickier to nail the adjustments to get as good an image as the Sharp did.
    Again, the GD1 had adjustments by the bucket-load, but have of them were not touched, and I got an image I could've lived with forever and a day.

28. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I just saw on the official Sharp site and the response rate is 16ms for the 32GA6. Isn't the Samsung rated 12ms or are Samsung using a more devious method to measure the rate like grey to grey and not white to black?

29. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    The thing is, pixel response of the panel is only half the story - the other half is the elctronics that drive the panel, hence why the use of higher voltages by some panel manufacturers to get the response down to 2 and 4 msecs.
    Don't worry about the numbers - your eyes will tell you what the real story is.

30. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    How well do Sharp LCDs scale SD material (480i) and do they have any issues with 60Hz / NTSC material like the Samsung tearing issue etc?