1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp 32 p50

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by daoud, Oct 10, 2005.

1. daoud

daoud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any one tell me if they have tried xbox or ps2 on this lcd ,what is the quality like.

2. Sissyneck

Sissyneck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried an xbox on it hooked up through RBG scart. Even thought the connection isn't the best the image still looks fantastic. So far I've only played halo 2 using it but the detail is fantastic. I used to play on a 28 inch widescreen Panasonic CRT and it looks far better on the Sharp. It's actually possible to see what's going on in the dark levels!
    I've tried it with a Gamecube and REsident Evil 4 too. It looks just as great. There's only a tiny bit of motion blur but it's even less than on my crt. I think it's just down to the scarts.

3. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my PS2 connected via RGB scart to a LC37P50E - Gran Turismo & Fantavision never looked so good (just remember to turn the Digital Noise Reduction off)!! :thumbsup:

Also seen some HD material on it & wouldn't know that it wasn't a true HD panel!

4. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What HD material was it you saw?

I am slowly coming around to the P50 idea having seen a 32 inch alongside other sets in Dixons on Sunday.

I fancy a 37 inch one myself.

My only problem is convincing myself I don't need a HD ready set. I don't have Sky as I won't pay what they ask for their service. So I am definitely not likely to buy into Sky HD which will be more expensive still.

However I will probably invest in a HD DVD player when they arrive - but only when they come down in price a bit so I would benefit from HD DVD on a HD set.

If I pay this sort of money for a TV it has to last quite a few years and basically fall apart before it gets changed. So getting a P50 now and swapping it out when I invest in a HD DVD in a few years is not an option. So the P50 needs to be very close in performance to a true HD ready set on HD DVD for me to finally take the plunge.

Now if I could see a P50 on HD material and it didn't look obviously different than true HD on a 1388x768 panel then I would probably be convinced.

I think HD material ought to look good and that comes from my experience with digital photography. Look at a digital camera picture 1:1 and on all but the top end SLR cameras you will see noise in the image.

However view at a smaller size the noise can seemingly disappear. It hasn't gone it is just too small to see. The result is it becomes hard to tell what camera took the picture. The SLR picture will have more detail as the noise on the cheaper cameras picture will obscure some detail, but if the detail is too small to see it doesn't matter so much.

I see an analogy in that to the P50 series downscaling a 1080i picture to 540. Downscaling may, in the same way as with noise "decreasing" on a digital photograph when viewed at smaller sizes, display a very good image. And who is to say that it won't do a better job of downscaling than a HD set downscaling a 1080i picture to 1388x768?

I don't know if it will but what chances are there of getting a comparative demo of a P50 against a good HD LCD both running HD material to see?

The only place I have seen a P50 so far is Dixons and I didn't think they were into such customer service!

Dave

5. dkboy22

dkboy22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw a Sharp LC37P50E against a "hd ready" Sharp LC37GD1E, both running 1080i hi-def via component from a HVD player. Player was running some Sharp demo software - LC37P50E looked brighter and clearer for some reason??! :eek: Although this could be down to the settings on both sets.
    Of course, when viewed very close up, the LC37GD1E was better at showing stuff like text with smoother outlines etc.
    Anyway, I'm very happy I made the right choice and won't be missing out on too much when showing HD content or connecting PS3 in future. PQ from Sky+ and my DVD recorder via interlaced component input is outstanding (after I learned to switched off all Digital Noise Reduction). :smashin: