Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sharp 28JF73H Picture Problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by andyboy, Jan 12, 2004.

1. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone out there help me out with this ?

I bought a 28JF73H mainly because finances were real tight and it fell just within my budget but I have noticed something when watching DVD's mainly but I am sure it happens on terrestrial broadcasts as well, I am not sure what to call it but it appears as a 'fish bowl effect' I noticed it watching Aliens when the space station at the beginning pans into view it appears to ripple and on Fellowship of the Ring the sets in bag end appeared to distort slightly.

As I say I dont know what to call it or what it is so I hope someone can help me !

2. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I believe they refer to it as "dome effect".

I had the same problem with a Tosh 32" Flat Screen, phoned up Tosh who said it was a problem and reffered me back to the retailer. The retailer who sent a engineer out (Paid extra for otherwise I had to return the product to the store for repair) resolved the problem eventualy.

I can't remember what they fixed, but he had to take it back for a couple of days.
    Have you asked the retailer or even Sharp about the problem?>

3. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't mentioned it to either..............yet !

I bought the TV from Asda because my previous TV was from there but it was only a Schneider and gave up the ghost about a week ago but was still covered by the 3 year warranty they give out so I only put £210 to the diff.

I'll buzz Sharp first and see what their technical dept say cause if Asda has one TV that is suffering from this then the others may be the same.

Thanks for helping bud !

4. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No probs. Let me know the outcome as my younger brother is thinking of getting one for his flat.

5. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to Sharp who have 'never heard' of this problem on this model of TV so I am gonna swap it at Asda tomorrow, fingers crossed it'll sort.

6. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the update.
    Probably a knock from the delivery driver to the store.

Fingers crossed also that It will be OK. Let me know if it is.

Thks

7. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DO NOT BUY A SHARP WIDESCREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus I have had 2 now and they are both really bad the 28JF had the picture distortion problem I mentioned so I swapped it for a 28JW (didn't really wnat to but I needed a tv) now I get diagonal / horizontal stripes or bars scrolling up or down the screen when I use RGB scart ! - WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ALL ABOUT !

If anyone knows how to fix this or can recommend a set with good / excellent analogue tuner capability but MUS have excellent RGB performance for £350 tops - PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Sharp are vermin plain and simple. They lie and deny known problems with Sharp sets. I have the same Sharp set and thanks to a cockup at bargain crazy it was free so I don't really care. In all honesty its a lousy set, the Which reliability survey of 2002 results put sharp as by far the least reliable tv set.

Sharp sets are poorly made in a spainish factory but no more as Sharp don't make crt sets anymore. Newer models will be rebadged Turkish sets. However this should yield an improvement in reliability and performance as other sets like Goodmans and Bush that also come from Turkey a lot of the time were more reliable than Sharps.

Sharp sets seem to have poor psus that lead to inconsistant geometry, doming (colour patches) and numerous other problems. Its rare to get a good one as you found out and the only people that can accept them are not very discerning people. I mainly use a projector but use a tv for basic viewing and find my Sharp set can be very good with RGB only sources so I basically work around its limitations.

I do try to make people understand though that the quality of these sets is below that of brands like Goodmans, Beko etc and not above.

Thomson do some terrific sets at around £300-350 (50hz models only) which give superb results with RGB sources as well as being pretty decent for other connections and reliable too.

9. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply bud !

As of now I am well and truly in the anti sharp camp, the only good thing is that Asda will refund fully if the item is faulty and I would consider the striping effect I get as a fault - if not a technical one - as reason enough to return it.

I am looking a Thomson now as well as a Philips one off of Pricerunner at 280ish which got 4.5/5 in What Widescreen so we'll see what happens.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I'm a fan of Philips myself but in fairness the Which reliability survey had them slightly down in the list compared to other main brands. I've had a Philips 21" FST combi for many years and its had much abuse but still works perfectly with great sound and picture. I tend to think that if you go for a Philips products its best to get there less innovative products. Philips have a habit of introducing new technology too fast and often its a bit poor for reliability, like their dvd+r recorders for example.

Many Philips products are badge engineered now at the bottom end so a lot of the dvd and vcr products are actually made by LG and their 4:3 and basic widescreens sets are made by vestel or arcelik.